Steelhead Gear

rudeone

rudeone

I'm looking for some advice on a new fly rod for Steelheading. I have been looking at the Scott A3 10' 7wt, and St Croix Avid 10' 7wt. Anyone out there have some advice on these two rods or others that come well recommended? I'll be using it in Erie Pa Elk Creek ans on the Cat in NY. Also Looking for a good 7wt reel to accompany the new rod any advice? Looking to keep the reel price under $400. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to PAFF! You will get plenty of great information here, stick around.

There are plenty of good options out there and you will see a varied opinion of which rods are ideal for your desired setup.

Lots of guys go with a 10ft 6 in Erie, I have had great luck with a 9ft 7. Usually with the NY streams, guys like the 8 or 9 wt if you are going to target Salmon. I think a 10ft 7 will be good for both of those locations though.

I'm sure that will get guys thinking of brands and such. You are close to International Angler's Robinson location, I would recommend that you go there and talk with Bob, Jeff and the rest of the crew. They will treat you right and you can actually cast the rods to see what fits your casting the best and what feels best to you. If you have a $400 budget for a real you will have tons of options. What's your overall budget?

Thanks for the welcome Jaybo41, I have been to IA in Robinson and most likely will buy from them, but I was looking for opinions of guys out on the streams such as yourself. As far as o.a. budget I'd like to keep it under 700 for the whole outfit. Lower if possible.

I do lots of lead chucking for steel, so I like to use the cheapest semi fast rod I can find. Perhaps I don't fish steel enough, but I don't really see the need for a nicer rod. My opinion is that if you don't mind to, feel free to cut some costs and go a little cheaper for the rod.

As for the reel; you can get a great reel with a good drag for $100 to $150. I use a loomis venture, which can be had for $100 flat. There are even cheaper options as well, so perhaps someone can chime in with a recommendation.

If you'd like, you can have a better than average steelhead setup for no more than $350 or so, max.

I just made two rod recomendations in a previous post. Check it out for my two cents. The rods you mentioned would work. I am a custom rod builder and build quite a few for steelheading in Erie tribs. the advise from jayL is pretty good. You don't have to spend a fortune to get something that works well. I build all of my rods with a longer fighting butt than you can't get on factory rods as well as use single foot ceramic guides in place of wire snakes. The difference is amazing! You won't find this in any fly shop though. You will need to find a custom rod builder to do it for you or build it yourself if you know how or are willing to learn. It is a fun and rewarding craft with results that far exceed what you can buy off the rack.

Good posts by both JayL and Abbrod. You can get a killer setup for under $500 rod, reel, line, backing and tippet & leaders included. In fact International Angler will throw in backing and line if you buy rod and reel there and that's a nice savings. I'm sure you can also do it under that too, like Jay said you can get a good setup for under $350. A custom rod is also a great choice because many guys like Abb will make rods that manufacturers don't offer.

Scott, St. Croix are both reputable brands and I'm sure they would be good choices. Sage and Reddington should have options that will be in your budget too. Set your budget and cast as much as you can to see what you like best. I like Sage, but you may not, just an example. Look for a reel with a solid, maintenance free and smooth drag. Lots of good options are out there.

Consideration should also be given to warranty--get one that has a warranty that makes you comfortable. If you like gear made in the US you will be paying a bit more in most cases. Can you give us an idea as to how much experience you have fly fishing for any species in general? That might help Abb and others recommend an action that would most benefit you.

For a nice stiff rod check out Temple Fork Outfitters. I have a 9' 8wt I use for steelies and it's fantastic. I have it matched with a SR reel from Cabela's that isn't made anymore. I think I paid under 300 total for the setup and they threw in backing, line and a leader. Go to IA and cast the rods. If you feel more comfortable with one then buy it. They are both nice rods and will suit you well for steelhead. But if it was me and I had a $700 budget, I'd get a decent steelhead setup, and buy another trout rod!!!

Ryan

Edit:

When looking for a reel, make sure it has a click on it. My reel does not have one and that is my only regret. When you hook a fish and it runs on you, the click "clicks" to let you know how much line it's taking. This is important as the reel is below the rod and you can't see it to know how much line is coming off. Just another bit of information to take with you when searching for a new reel.

I just bought an 8wt 9' Albright A-5 rod and an Albright GPX reel for this steelhead season The 8wt A-5 is being discontinued and is on sale. I got both rod and reel for about $210. Shipping was free and it came in about 3 days. Check out the website they have some links for the A-5 reviews. Also, Green Weenie has a post on here with all the information.

http://www.albrightflyfish.com/

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=9276&forum=3

I talked to Chuck at IA, he recommended that I look at the Echo Ion 10' 7wt and pair it with a Lamson Velocity 3 (6-8wt). I have the same reel in a 5wt version and so far I am happy with it. Anyone out there know much about the Echo Ion?

Thanks for all the great advice everyone.

I think you've done well. You will not be outgunned chasing chrome this year. I have a 10 foot 7 weight rod, Gander Mountain brand that I have paired with the Lamson Velocity 3.5 reel (7-9 wt.). I know nothing about Echo rods, but you will love the reel! I don't really believe you can go wrong with a 10 foot 7 weight rod for steelhead. You are not likely to make long casts here in the East and you have the length of the rod for reach and fighting leverege. Rod action is not too important.

Back