Steelhead and Salmon rod recommendation

10November

I am traveling to Michigan and would like any advice on what type of rod would be appropriate for fishing for steelhead and salmon and for use with heavier weighted streamers. I currently use a 4wt and know this rod would be too light for large fish. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

If you want a single handed fly rod and don't already own a 9ft 8 weight I'd start there...this length and weight would be a good all around rod for a very large variety of species and IMO would work just fine for Michigan steelhead and salmon. As far a exact model...that will come down to your personal preference, budget, casting style, wants versus needs etc.... Your best bet would beg borrow demo and test cast as many fly rod / fly line pairings as you can and you'll eventually figure out what's best for you. If you plan to fish with a lodge or guide ask their advice and see if they can let you demo while your staying or fishing with them.

I like 9'6" length rods better on the larger rivers and can be used in PA quite well. !0"ers are just a we long for swinging on the PA Tribs IMO.

One rod for salmon and steelhead should probably be an 8 weight, 9 to 10 feet in length. If you have the luxury to do two, get a 9 or 10 weight for salmon and a 6 or 7 weight for steelhead.

I would also recommend a medium action rod. Those fast action tip flex rods are too stiff and will cause more break offs on smaller tippets that are needed at times for salmon or steel. A little more flex goes a long way in protecting those tippets and landing more fish.

I agree with above. Medium action 10' 8wt is the best compromise for both. I strongly agree with ryguyfi about the medium action part.

I don't like fishing anything below a 7wt for steelhead but I really don't fish for steelhead that have been out of the lake long anymore (i do 90 percent of my steelhead fishing in sept and Oct, and always fish low in the river systems). You probably could get away with a 6 weight for the dark ones but a 7wt is much better in my opinion.

I like a 7wt for steelhead and an 8wt if salmon are around. If I had to have just one rod (perish the thought) for both, I'd get a 10', 8wt. My 7wt is also a 10'.

Back