State College

GHM

GHM

I’m thinking about going to Spring Creek by State College this weekend. Might anyone have any other stream recommendations?
If so what flies should I tie up? Keep in mind that I don’t have chest waders so smaller streams or easily accessible streams are preferred. And ideas are much appreciated!

Dear GHM,

Just a note, Penn State is home this weekend and it's an early game on Saturday so unless you get into town Friday night and hole up somewhere it will be hard to get around come Saturday morning.

Fisherman's Paradise is easy to fish while on foot and on the bank. The rest of Spring Creek is a little harder to do that so hip boots will help if you have them.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Last edited:
Just a note, Penn State is home this weekend and it's an early game on Saturday so unless you get into town Friday night and hole up somewhere it will be hard to get around come Saturday morning.
So I saw, I plan to get off school early and spend the night in a tent. I do have hip boots and am getting chest waders. They should be shipping soon, but not in time.

So I saw, I plan to get off school early and spend the night in a tent. I do have hip boots and am getting chest waders. They should be shipping soon, but not in time.
Do you have a campground picked out? Bald Eagle State Park has "primitive" campsites near Howard.

Saturday looks like wet wading weather.

Reactions: GHM
except for a few locations, Spring Creek is very fishable with hip waders this time of year. Luckily, you can access many parts of Spring creek and avoid most of the game traffic. Access right off of I99 is at Shiloh road. Getting off in Bellefonte should be ok too. Avoid upper Spring creek to upstream of Shiloh road as you will have to travel through game traffic.

Reactions: GHM
Found a camping site and hit fly fisherman’s paradise and caught 2 brown trout. This one was super small, the other was probably 9 inches.
IMG 0973

Hopefully tomorrow brings a few more.

What did you catch them on.

What did you catch them on.
Caught one on a cress bug and one on a griffiths gnat, the smaller ones were jumping like crazy near dark. Around 5 I had 3 hit a size 8 dark olive stimulator. I lost one and missed the other two. My dry fly hit to hookup ratio is pretty low😂.

Well I fished all day today and came out with no fish. I had about a dozen on but lost them all. The one big trout I hooked on a stimulator went down, wrapped me around a rock and spit the hook. The fly I had the most success with was an all squirrel nymph. I forgot to check my hook point and I’m pretty sure I missed/lost most of the fish because it was bent. Spring creek was beautiful but low.

Well I fished all day today and came out with no fish. I had about a dozen on but lost them all. The one big trout I hooked on a stimulator went down, wrapped me around a rock and spit the hook. The fly I had the most success with was an all squirrel nymph. I forgot to check my hook point and I’m pretty sure I missed/lost most of the fish because it was bent. Spring creek was beautiful but low.
Dear GHM,

I don't like that you caught the skunk today, but I love that you got out and gave it a go on Spring Creek. I'll bet you will do better the more times you make the trip.

Regards,

Dear GHM,

I don't like that you caught the skunk today, but I love that you got out and gave it a go on Spring Creek. I'll bet you will do better the more times you make the trip.

Regards,

Tim,
I bet next time I go I do a little better, I started to find what they were eating at least. Next time I should have chest waders for some esier access.
- Gavin

Back