State College Area Opening Day

giantsjim

giantsjim

Does it get pretty crazy Opening Day on the State College area streams? Family is heading up that weekend for the PSU Blue/White game and my wife is taking my boys for the festivities and game Fri/Sat while I have the green light to fish both days. She has another Mom and her two sons to keep company.
Just looking for past experiences from others like BFC is a madhouse as is Bald Eagle but Spring is usually good because it is open year round. That kind of anecdotal info is just fine. I will be solo and can certainly hit mountain streams, tribs, etc...if it is elbow to elbow like down here in SE PA for the opener. Though it is pretty fun to watch the show.
Thanks for any input, Jim.

If you hit the special regs areas there shouldn't be a circus, unless you're looking at harvesting some trout, then all bets are off.

May be a little more activity on lower spring in the afternoon than usual as the people who were fishing bal eagle in the am look for more time on the water but it's tolerable

Oh Friday can be busier too as people warm up for Saturday. I see the same the weekend before opening day. Spin and bait fisherman hit spring to hone their skills

Yeah, all in all pressure on spring drops after opening day. But ON opening day, it's not a circus, but more crowded than usual, I think.

You've got the regular guys, plus the ones who still want to take part in opening day for tradition's sake but avoid the circus, plus the ones who get fed up in the circus in the morning and look for an escape later on.

Don't expect shoulder to shoulder or anything, but there will be plenty of guys around.

Thanks for the responses, guys. Looking forward to heading up there weather permitting. Love that area.
Wife wants to move south, especially after this winter. Long term: a place in Centre County and one on the Carolina shore sounds good. I will miss her though for those 6 months out of the year...haha.

Back