Starting a New Rod

JoeE

Binding and heat treating today. Hopefully final planing on Saturday. Not that I don’t have other projects that I should be finishing but taking a break from wrapping. Joe E

Attachments

• IMG_0558.jpeg
    IMG_0558.jpeg
    370.4 KB · Views: 71
Awesome, please keep us updated on your progress. I thoroughly enjoy see others projects . Some times I get inspired to much ,which leads to another project for me . Thanks for sharing and looking forward to progress pics as you go

Bamboo. it is a mica strip element inside my homemade oven. It will get up to 500 degrees but I don’t need it that hot.

This rod is a 9’ 4wt (quad). If I like it I will make a 9’ 4wt(hex) for a backup. I converted a 9’ 4wt (hex) taper to a quad. I had some quad strips started from a previous project so that is why I went with the quad first.

I hope your rod turns out well. I'd like to try something like that, but my talent in a workshop is zilch. When I was in school -- a long time ago -- the only grade I ever got below a B (until I had to take chemistry and later algebra III) was a D in eighth grade shop.

So, congratulations on your work. I'll bet your rod will be great and that you will love fishing with it.

I have never cast a quad , I have always wanted to . What if any , are the differences in casting and fishing a quad?

Question about bamboo... Do the guide feet need to be ground flat, or is there some amount of roundness on quad/hex blank surfaces?
Thanks.

Vtsalmon, First, I am not an expert in any shape or form. I do like quads, I think they are a little harder to make because the angle is more acute (45deg vs 60deg), but attention to detail and a shape plan iron has helped reducing chipping around the nodes. I do find them a little fast but then again that all depends on the taper from all the rods that I have cast. This was an original a hex taper, so I only did what I normally did on my other quads I have made and that is a .93 to .90 conversion factor through to the butt. I only watch and listen when true rod makers talk about conversion factors and what is better/best. IMO if you like it, you like it. But this will be my first test building a quad and a hex to compare the difference with the original taper. But I probable have about another 30 to 40 hours left in the quad build. I defiantly will not glue anything permanently to the blank until I’m sure I like it; waste not want not! Sorry, I didn't answer your question but I fined them smoother and faster (IMO) on average.

6x, I always have to do something to the guide feet and yes i make them all flat and taper a little.

6x, I always have to do something to the guide feet and yes i make them all flat and taper a little.
Right. I always taper the feet to make an easier ramp for the thread wrap. I was just wondering how flat the sides of a milled and sanded hex or quad blank are in comparison to a completely round blank that's been wrapped around a tapered mandrel.
Thanks Joe.

If I’m reading your question correctly on Hex taper, I don’t like to go too much lower than .070 because the form setting is ½ the diameter so the form setting would be .035 and for a Quad I will go a little smaller because of the flat .065 and that would be ½ again times .707 for the form setting of .023.

This rod is a 9’ 4wt (quad). If I like it I will make a 9’ 4wt(hex) for a backup. I converted a 9’ 4wt (hex) taper to a quad. I had some quad strips started from a previous project so that is why I went with the quad first.
Sounds like a cool rod. Are you using a classic taper or one of your own design?

I've never fished a quad either. I probably should acquire one some day. But I'd have to part with one of my other rods to fund it and I sure don't want to do that 🙂

Sounds like a cool rod. Are you using a classic taper or one of your own design?

I've never fished a quad either. I probably should acquire one some day. But I'd have to part with one of my other rods to fund it and I sure don't want to do that 🙂
You do know that doubling rods in the tube is an effective way to hide new rods from your spouse, correct? 😎

If I’m reading your question correctly on Hex taper, I don’t like to go too much lower than .070 because the form setting is ½ the diameter so the form setting would be .035 and for a Quad I will go a little smaller because of the flat .065 and that would be ½ again times .707 for the form setting of .023.
Actually, I wasn't expecting an answer with that many numbers. I expect that locking the guides in place with wraps and varnish would be completely sufficient, regardless of the way the guide feet sit on the blank. I still find it fascinating how bamboo weights and tapers are set up the way you're doing it.
Thanks.

I converted a AJ Thramer taper that I had. If it turns out to cast a 5wt better I'll still be okay with that.

Burned a little midnight oil. Got my plane blades sharpened and got my tip strips ready all 45degs and almost to final dimension just need to move them up two stations on the planning forms and hopefully no tear outs so far so good but I did bring along 2 extra strips just in case. I also got my knives sharpened from the kitchen (Amy is not allowed to use my knives 😄). Chloe my daughter for her birthday, I made several putting shafts years ago, she would like one for miniature golf so I’m getting that ready and ordered some cork rings. It was a good night.

Attachments

• IMG_0565.jpeg
    IMG_0565.jpeg
    366.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0561.jpeg
    IMG_0561.jpeg
    404.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0562.jpeg
    IMG_0562.jpeg
    382.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0566.jpeg
    IMG_0566.jpeg
    433.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0566.jpeg
    IMG_0566.jpeg
    433.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0565.jpeg
    IMG_0565.jpeg
    366.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0562.jpeg
    IMG_0562.jpeg
    382.2 KB · Views: 28
Tip section is completed, just need to glue. Had a lot of trouble yesterday with nodes spent at least an additional 4 hours and did have to use one of the additional strips. Took on a few bleeding and sore fingers but I’m happy with the measurements and edges.

Attachments

• IMG_0570.jpeg
    IMG_0570.jpeg
    272.8 KB · Views: 9
Back