Start-Up Fly Tying Materials Needed?

tcatmeow

tcatmeow

Hey guys,

I've been out of the game for a few years but I've been getting back into recently. Buying fly's is not only expensive but it's also pretty inconvenient for me to run to stores.

I used to experiment with fly tying back when I was a teenager but I haven't tried it in at least 15 years.

I've been doing a little bit of pricing around and it seems like buying someone's fly tying lots on ebay is probably the best value. I'm wondering if I could pick you brains on the "must haves" for tying PA patterns? What materials do I need, hooks, etc.

I'll be targeting almost entirely on trout and steelhead but mostly trout on the streams.

When I got back into fly fishing and tying about 3 years ago, I won a fly tying lot on ebay for $60 and I got a bunch of stuff and thought I was set for good. Three years later I've spent hundreds more on new materials and I'm getting ready to order some Enrico Puglesi fibers because I think they may be better than something else. What I'm getting at is you can really get into it and it never ends. But you know what, it's a lot of fun and I enjoy doing it.
It's ok to get a starter kit but be prepared to buy a lot more.
Enjoy the ride.

here is my basic list of tying materials that should tie a lot of pa fly patterns

This list of beginner tying materials is simply a list based on my 30+ years experience in fly tying. The list provided below is for a new tyer who wants to tie trout flies but can spill over to different genres of fly tying. It is a BASIC list. Could other items have appeared on the list? Of course they could but that's somebody elses list. Other tyers will add or subtract materials to their liking. So be it. Remember its a BASIC list of materials. It contains materials the can tie hundreds or even thousands of fly patterns.

This list is in no order of preference. This list is provided for your convenience and in no way requires you to buy all tying materials all at once or any materials for that matter. It is also a generic list of materials as I really don't have any preferences as to what brand of materials you buy.

Eventually you will need materials if you want to continue tying flies. The list may give you a head start as to what you might want to buy

Again, you do not have to buy the entire list all at once!

Buy what you want when you need it!

1. Hooks (in different styles and sizes)
2. Thread (6/0 to start in black & white)
3. Pheasant Tail (center feathers when possible for the longest fibers)
4. Peacock Herl (eye feathers and strung herl)
5. Marabou (blood quills are better)
6. Deer hair
7. Elk hair
8. Buck tail (in different colors like red, yellow, or white)
9. Lead or non-lead wire (in different sizes)
10. Ribbing wire (silver, copper & gold)
11. Rooster Hackle (grizzly, brown, white & dun) A good option is an introduction pack
12. Hen neck or saddle (grizzly, brown, dun etc) (great for soft hackle & wings)
13. Hungarian Partridge Skin (great for soft hackles)
14. Dubbing dispenser of hares ear (various colors) & superfine dubbing for dry flies
15. Gray duck or goose wing feathers (used for wing cases)
16. Head cement
17. Tinsel and other flash materials (in assorted colors)
18. Calf tail (start with white, add colors when necessary)
19. Yarns & chenille (used for making bodies, both in assorted colors)
20. Floss (1 strand or 4 strand in assorted colors)
21. Strung hackle (practice wrapping hackle with this. cheap alternative to the pricey hackles)

Poor quality materials are destined to discourage beginner tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them. Buy the best you can.

Another recommendation seen on most forums is to pick out 5-10 that you want to learn how to tie. Buy the materials provided in the recipes of those flies. These materials are now the building blocks for tying different fly patterns in the future.

dont forget fly tying lessons

If its got Peacock herl or Grizzly hackle it'll catch fish! No but seriously I was just like you a couple years ago, I wasn't on break for that long but stopped tying for like 5 years because I made some attempts when I was 12. Well ever since I got back into it I just continue buying more and more and more and even more with well over 1000 dollars in materials at any given time( I think I have a problem).

Whatever you do I wouldn't suggest buying a "starter pack" that's made of cruddy materials and really doesn't give you much. Buy a couple quality materials and go from there, 20 bucks here and there will get you stocked up in a hurry!

Good luck and tight lines! Oh and watch all of Tim Camissa's videos he is a wonderful teacher.

tcatmeow wrote:
What materials do I need, hooks, etc.
I'll be targeting almost entirely on trout and steelhead but mostly trout on the streams.

Hooks are the most important item and the one you'll likely run out of. Since you're tying mainly for stream trout, you will want a good supply of #12 and #14 nymph hooks and #16 dry fly hooks. Get some medium or long shank hooks in about #6 or 8 for streamers or large nymphs as well.
These are bread and butter hooks which you will use frequently.

And make a list of the flies you know you will need. Start with those and buy materials needed for them! You will fill in accordingly.

Kits can be junk or a lot of needless materials youll never use.

Very sound suggestions from nfrechet in post #3. Very well thought out. Agree 100%.

The least expensive way is as suggested, that you buy only what you need to tie pattern you want to tie, then add as needed. I think the best money saving technique when first starting out is to learn appropriate substitutes for obscure materials. I have never bought Golden Pheasant Tippets and have tied dozens of flies I still call Royal Coachman's.

Thanks for the info guys! And thanks for the great list nfreche. tSo what I'm hearing and from what I've gathered in my research is that you want to buy quality material and it can get expensive. Knowing me, I'll be the guy spending close to $1,000 on this stuff within 2 years time and end up having an endless supply of material.

Maybe you guys could tell me if these two ebay listings are worth it? The listings seem to have a ton of material. I'm just not sure if the materials match the patterns I'll tie in this region? Like I said, I'll be fishing mostly trout and steelhead but I will dabble with bass frequently and salt water every once in a blue moon.

Please take a peek at these and let me know what you think? I almost bought the "Premium Quality Fly Tying Kit" a week ago. Just couldn't pull the trigger. Should I snag one of these or keep shopping?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUGE-ORVIS-SALTWATER-FRESHWATER-FLY-TYING-LOT-MATERIALS-FEATHERS-EYES-L-K-/221831064683?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33a6296c6b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PREMIUM-QUALITY-FLY-TYING-KIT-AND-MATERIALS-/261977520793?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cff13ba99

Thanks again!

personally i wouldnt buy either one of the material assortments in the ebay links

i would recommend you pick out 5-10 patterns you want to learn how to tie and buy the material to them

however if you are dead set in getting the material in the ebay links, then by all means go for it

Any reason why do didn't like the ebay lots? Is the value not there? Bad materials? Not enough cross-over materials that would tie patterns in our region?

Seems like buying a large lot could be much cheaper than piecing everything together but I don't really know? Anyone else think I should piece everything together?

I hear ya about the 10 patterns. That makes sense and I like your list above. How much do you think it would cost to get all of the items you suggested?

I guess I was hoping that one of these lots would get me to tie 5-6 local patterns. Do you guys see enough cross-over material to make that happen? If so, I'd be inclined to get one. Then just piece the material I need for the other 4 patterns.

I just don't want to get a large lot like that and have it full of all salt water material or material that doesn't make sense for our region, ya know?

nfrechet wrote:
personally i wouldnt buy either one of the material assortments in the ebay links

i would recommend you pick out 5-10 patterns you want to learn how to tie and buy the material to them

I agree with this. Unless you are going to tie alot of salt water or steelhead flys I would not by either. I would go with the 5 - 10 patterns recommendation. It would be a very good start.

GenCon

tcat
All of the material I have is for local stuff ,will get pictures posted as soon as possible

The jury has spoken. Where is the best place to purchase nfrechet list?

I'll wait beadhead, shoot me some photo's when ya can.

Can you guys suggest the best fly's for the region? Honestly, I wouldn't know how to start picking my 10 patterns. I'm taking a trip to Penn's Creek for Labor Day so I'll be centering my first batch around that trip.

tcatmeow wrote:
Any reason why do didn't like the ebay lots?

i didnt like the first link because it looked to be more for a saltwater fly tyer than for freshwater. some materials could have crossed over to the freshwater fly tyer but not much.

the second link has more freshwater tying materials but all of the bright materials seemed to be too much. how many bugs are bright pink or orange?

this might be a nice freshwater material kit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Fly-Tying-Lot-Tools-Hooks-Feathers-Dubbing-Vise-Thread-Books-Case-/111727029950?hash=item1a03732ebe

Where is the best place to purchase nfrechet list?

i would start with your local fly shop. they all could use our business. you can also pick their brains while youre there about local patterns and materials used to tie them

i'll say this again: the list of materials i provided is just a list of recommended fly tying materials that can get a beginner fly tyer into tying flies. it is not intended for you to purchase every single item all at once.

if you are dead set on buying a mass quantity lot of materials like that in the ebay listings and not knowing what to tie with it then by all means go for it

all we can do is provide some insights and recommendations based on years of fly tying (35+ years for me). what you do with that info is totally up to you

i first started by taking fly tying lessons and learning about the tools and materials used to tie flies. each week we were taught a different pattern and bought the materials from our instructor. those materials began the inventory to tie different flies.

i guess thats no longer the way fly tying goes these days. its all about tying flies like what is shown on you tube. not many beginner videos out there for a true beginner to follow

ok my ranting is done

happy tying

Below are the most common and basic four flies to start off with. For anything you can not buy locally, refer to the links for JStockard, a very popular Internet source for materials

Buy some: nymph hooks (size 10, 12 & 14); beads in gold and copper (size 1/8 & 7/64); round wire for weight (size 015).

Greenie Weenie

Fluorescent green fine chenille
http://www.jsflyfishing.com/hareline-chenille-fine

Walt’s Worm

Hare’s ear plus dubbing:
Assorted dispenser:
http://www.jsflyfishing.com/hareline-dubbing-dispensers-with-12-colors
or single pack in hare’s ear or hare’s dark:
http://www.jsflyfishing.com/hareline-hares-ear-plus-dubbing

Pheasant Tail Nymph

Pheasant Tail in natural or brown:
http://www.jsflyfishing.com/hareline-ringneck-pheasant-complete-tail
Peacock herl:
http://www.jsflyfishing.com/hareline-strung-peacock-herl

Hare’s Ear Nymph

Dubbing see link above for walt’s worm

goto cabela's and buy their little wooden box of tools and the vise. that's 40.

then open your frybox and be like, "i use this, this, and this alot."

write down a list of the things in those 4 or 5 flies.

then buy the crap for those 4 or 5 flies. that's another 40 or so.

it's really not that complicated.

Others have suggested enough materials so I'll skip that. You should definitely check Craigslist though. I often see people who are selling a lifetime of supplies for very little. They are local and will have most if not all of what you would need.

True that WMD.There is a very nice lot listed in the Lancaster area right now with a Renzetti traveler.

phiendWMD wrote:
Others have suggested enough materials so I'll skip that. You should definitely check Craigslist though. I often see people who are selling a lifetime of supplies for very little. They are local and will have most if not all of what you would need.

I just checked that. I doubt he can find a better deal than that.

Back