St. Croix Legend Elite Series (5wt.)

Big-Bass

Big-Bass

After selling a few of the rods that I have tried but have not completely fallen in love with, I am still in search of a good 5 weight rod. I have some interest in higher end stuff but don't necessarily want to blow the bank on an $800 rod if I don't have to.

In comes the Legend Elite...

I have heard good things from a certain forum member here but other than that, not much is said about the Legend Elite. Where do they stand against other high end brands (i.e. Scott, Winston, Sage, Orvis, etc.). From reading reviews on Yellowstone Angler (which I don't really take to heart), the Legend Elite seems to silently always make its way towards the top. If the rod is good overall, why is it not that popular? Why is it half the price of other rods while still seeming to use the hardware/quality of workmanship of its $800 counterparts? Also, how is the warranty with St. Croix?

I am interested in either the 590 or 586 version of the rod and wonder what would best suit me here in NEPA for dries/emergers, nymphs (down to 20), and small streamers (up to 6/8)? Also, any other rod recommendations or models would be helpful. Thanks for your help and responses!

Have 590.4. Prefer it over my z-axis. DaveS has one that I believe he's very happy with. I may be driving past you in the next 2 weeks. If so, you are welcome to cast it.

It also depends what you like the rod to feel like when casting. You want a board, a noodle or something in between? Elite feels firm with a med-soft tip. Good in close and watched old lefty fire an entire 125' tournament line with mine. Don't cast a Helios2 or your bank account will be $800 short.

Krayfish,

I prefer a rod that has some power but a delicate tip that offers versatility of usage. I really would love to try out a scott radian and have held a helios2 which is awesome...but I don't want to drop that cash now. How close with the legend elite be to a winston biiix? I have casted one of them and while it seemed nice, it might be too soft to be an all around stick...if such a rod does exist.

Buy one on ebay. I sold a brand new Elite on ebay a couple years ago and only got $210 for it. Good rods with good fit and finish. Being in the middle price can be tough. Lot of people want cheaper and those that are less worried about price go higher end. But its a very good rod that developed good line speed.

I wouldn't think twice about another Legend Elite.

Big-Bass wrote:
After selling a few of the rods that I have tried but have not completely fallen in love with, I am still in search of a good 5 weight rod. I have some interest in higher end stuff but don't necessarily want to blow the bank on an $800 rod if I don't have to.

In comes the Legend Elite...

I have heard good things from a certain forum member here but other than that, not much is said about the Legend Elite. Where do they stand against other high end brands (i.e. Scott, Winston, Sage, Orvis, etc.). From reading reviews on Yellowstone Angler (which I don't really take to heart), the Legend Elite seems to silently always make its way towards the top. If the rod is good overall, why is it not that popular? Why is it half the price of other rods while still seeming to use the hardware/quality of workmanship of its $800 counterparts? Also, how is the warranty with St. Croix?

I am interested in either the 590 or 586 version of the rod and wonder what would best suit me here in NEPA for dries/emergers, nymphs (down to 20), and small streamers (up to 6/8)? Also, any other rod recommendations or models would be helpful. Thanks for your help and responses!

Not trying to be a smart azz, but you really have to cast a rod before you buy it. The guys on here are giving you the best info they can, but every caster and FFer is different.

Buying a rod on deal from ebay or the bargain corner can be frustrating. Often, you end up spending a lot of time and, in the long run, more money than if you found a rod that works really well for you the first time and bought it.

[d]Redington, Scott, Winston, Cabelas, TFO[/d]...now St. Croix.

If you took all the cash you spent on rods you really didn't like and had to go through the trouble to return and/or sell at a loss, you could have bought a really nice rod that works great for you. I suggest you look for a rod from an established maker, with a warranty that is likely to be honored for decades; a rod you can fish for a long time and enjoy.

Go out and cast as many rod as you can. If a buddy owns a rod you're interested in, try borrowing it to fish.

One final thought. Sometimes, I recommend that newer FFers hold off on buying a new rod until they become proficient enough casters to determine which rod works best for their casting and fishing.

Stick with it. Take your time making a choice. Good luck finding a great stick.

+1 on afishinado's post. So many of us buy at the spur of the moment. I have 2 St Croix dust collectors that I bought from ****s.

St. Croix Legend Elite rods are very good.

I'd go for the 9 footer because in NEPA you have big water, i.e. the upper Delaware and the Lackawanna. And that will also be good for Penns, Spring, Pine, Kettle etc.

If you are also interested in the smaller stream fishing, then also get a 7 1/2 ft 4 wt.

With those two rods, you're ready for any trout fishing in PA.

Make a call and see what they have in demo for you to cast. Based on your location, drive 45 minutes to the west branch angler, demo rods, make decision. I'm pretty sure they have sage, orvis and winston. Drive 10 minutes to DRC and check their demos. I think they have Scott and a few others. Sage one and Helios 2 are really nice but on smaller water, you might find a different rod performs better at closer distances.

IMO all st croix rods Elite and Ultra (I own or or have fished a full day a combination of the 2 models in the 4,5 and 6 wts) have quality blanks, but the hardware is not up to the upper end rods. The tip top in my ultra became grooved in a surprisingly short time. The threads on the reel seat is just ok. The cork acceptable, but not as good as high end rod. FYI: the Elite and Ultra were made with the same quality of hardware, at least at the time.
Both models are heavy (and feel so) compared to their next tier match (Z-axis for example) and do not track as well or fish short lines as well as the Z.
I traded up to the Z to replace my Ultra 6wt when the Z's were discontinued. I like the Ultra enough to hold onto it as a backup rod.

Now, with all that said. The ultra, too bad it's discontinued, was a great compromise. Not as good as the top models, but they were just a little more than half the price. At the time I felt it was a good bargain for what you pay for. My experience with the Elite is what someone else wrote here- I'd rather the spend the little extra for the higher end rod because the price to performance differential is not as appealing as the ultra

Avid and Ultra owners- how do you feel about the two? If I need another rod, I'd take a look at St croix again if they can provide something like the ultra.

I had a very good experience with St Croix when I needed my tip top replaced. They were going to fix it for free, if I sent the rod back. I told them well, why not just tell me the proper size and part number and I'll buy the tip top to replace it myself. They sent me the tip top and cement immediately free of charge.

Thanks for the input everyone. While I am rather new to fly fishing, I have luckily not lost anything moneywise as far as rods go. The ones I did return that I did not like I got credited for and the few that I did buy (with the exception of a TFO BVK which was new) were used/sold. In fact, when I sold the Scott on that auction site, I ended up getting alot more than I paid for it. I hope my posts don't come off as being annoying or repetitive as I am learning this sport. I have been learning alot from just reading on this site and continue to look forward to everyone's helpful input. Remember, I came from bass fishing where a $350 rod is top dollar for most brands and you could buy right off the rack knowing what action you were getting.

Krayfish,

What is DRC? 10 minutes from me?

Big-Bass wrote:
Krayfish,

What is DCR? 10 minutes from me?

What K-fish meant was drive 45 minutes to West Branch Anglers and 10 minutes from West Branch Anglers to the DRC Delaware River Club, which is a shop across the River on the PA side and a little downstream from West Branch Anglers.

Big-Bass wrote:
Thanks for the input everyone. While I am rather new to fly fishing, I have luckily not lost anything moneywise as far as rods go. The ones I did return that I did not like I got credited for and the few that I did buy (with the exception of a TFO BVK which was new) were used/sold. In fact, when I sold the Scott on that auction site, I ended up getting alot more than I paid for it. I hope my posts don't come off as being annoying or repetitive as I am learning this sport. I have been learning alot from just reading on this site and continue to look forward to everyone's helpful input. Remember, I came from bass fishing where a $350 rod is top dollar for most brands and you could buy right off the rack knowing what action you were getting.

Some members on here are very annoying and repetitive.....but you not one of them :lol: (not that there's anything wrong with that)...they are welcome too. :roll:

Keep posting and asking for help, Big-Bass and keep helping when others ask whenever you can.

Can't agree with a majority of post #10. Does the Helios have a nicer finish-guides-cork? Yes. With the overall weights close, the swing weights close, warranty on both is good and the performance also close, is the Helios2 worth an additional $350-400? Not to me. I could use that other money for a new pair of waders, reel or lines.

I've had the Ultras from 10 years ago and then compare them to the last year they were made and there's a big difference. You then take the Ultra and put it up against an Elite and they are 2 totally different rods. The Ultra was labeled "fast" and it may have been compared to rods in the early 2000's. The Elite is a huge step above in performance. As I mentioned in my earlier post, my z-axis is the back up rod and the Elite is the preferred weapon.

I don't know too many people that can detect 0.3 oz overall rod weight differences. I sure can't. Where there may be a difference is in the swing weight. I traded the OP a reel for a 10' BVK. I'm not sure I'll use it after casting it in the yard. To me, it felt quite tip heavy. Maybe a heavy reel and use it for nymphing from the boat will work.

If you look at what many will consider the top rods on the market, They are all $715-$795 except for the Elite which is the $450 range. Big difference in price but not performance. Dave Rothrock used mine for a newbie jam a year or two ago for a casting demo. After casting it, he said "that's a damn nice rod. I like it. What is it?". He's what I'd consider a pretty darn advanced angler / caster. It just confirmed what I felt. I have some Sage rods so it's not that I'm a tight azz with the wallet. I'm frugal and can't justify paying $400 for the same thing because it has a prettier stripping guide or a neater cork. If you see it as an artwork, pay for the extras. I use mine to catch fish so I won't pay that extra $$. My 0.02 and now I'll go away. God bless.

Overall rod weight:

Orvis H2 - 2.4 oz $795
Elite - 2.9 oz $450
Sage one - 2.6 oz $775
WInston BIIIx - 3.3 oz $795
Hardy Zenith - 3 oz $675

Just to make sure I contradict myself, after casting a H2 tip flex, I'd buy one. It's a nice stick.

Geesh, some people can't seem to handle a difference in opinion. Why such an aggressive response? May be I'm misinterpreting your electronic communication style, if so I'm sorry.

is it me or do other people see more agreement in our posts (hardware quality, price versus performance) than Krayfish wants to admit?
As usual, it boils down to what i like the feel of for my style of fishing. Most people recognize the difference.

I think you are misinterpreting my response. Just put up some useful info. Yinzer fans are way too sensitive.

See!! LMAO

Back