St. Croix imperial for red wing hunter

D

Dcap240

Someone I know wants to trade his st. Croix imperial 7' 3wt 4 piece for my wing archery red wing hunter recurve. Rod is mint and barely used with tube. My bow is a head ski co. bow and in great shape as well. Quiver with 5 brand new arrows with broadheads. What do you think? Fair trade? I will get a lot more use out of the rod then I do with my bow. Is it a good dry fly rod? I've been itching to get a small stream rod in that size range so stop me if I'm going to do something I will regret. Thanks

I don't know about the value of your recurve but I have that very fly rod. It's perfect for small streams. It's lightweight and it fishes nymphs, dries, and smaller wooly buggers well. I would recommend overlining it with 4 wt line though so it's easier to roll cast. You can still utilize the rod warranty with St Croix even if you're not the original owner. If your bow is collecting dust, I can almost guarantee your imperial won't because I'm pretty sure you live around some good and small Lehigh tribs where it will work well. Those tribs fish excellent in the winter as well. Good timing!

What Millsertime said. I, too, have the exact rod and it gets used a lot more than most of my other rods. It's a small stream delight and (for guys like me that have to fly with it) fits in most large luggage. I also agree with Millsertime that if your bow is collecting dust, even if your dollar-for-dollar value isn't there, take the rod. There's intrinsic value is something that you will use a lot versus something that you don't. You'll get your money back many times over if you actually use that Imperial.

That is what I was thinking. I barely even shoot the bow at targets anymore let alone hunt with it. The dollar to dollar value is fairly close. The bow is worth a little more then the rod with the arrows and everything but I will use the rod a lot more then I use the bow so I think that makes it worth it. Good to know about over lining it because I have a wf4f line but not a 3wt line. Thanks

that little 3wt croix is a great rod.....for the price. I up line mine anywhere between 1 and 3 weights depending on the day and it handles an casts various lines great. mine is a 6'6'', wish i had ordered the 7' for smaller streams an head waters it's all i use.

Vintage Recurve bows are bringing pretty good money these days - check the going rates from online sales such as archery forums and auctions. You might be able to get the rod and some cash for that bow.
Also older broadheads in good shape can bring in a few $.

I ended up selling the bow. It's not that I didn't want the rod but I got laid off and need the money. There is definetly interest in old bows, I put it on craigslist and within a day I had 5 people calling me.

Sounds like the right move given your circumstances. Best of luck getting work and back in the swing of things as far as your fishing goes.

Back