St. Croix Imperial 5 and 6 weights?

Big-Bass

Big-Bass

Does anyone have any experience with either the 905 and/or 906? What are your impressions? They seem nice for the price and that they are made domestically. How would they compare in feel to my Sage ZXL? Thanks.

They are nice rods for the money I have a few of them. I have both the 5 and 6 but they are much faster I think than the Sage ZXL. I would say that the St. Croix Legend Ultra would be closer in action to the Sage ZXL.

+1

Gander Mountain has a good sale with a rebate code and I have a $140 gift card. Was thinking about adding an Imperial in either a 905, 906, or even a 1006.

I've had a 906 imperial for a few years now. Mine has been great for me. It has the power to throw big flies and catch big fish but is also pretty decent with finesse fishing, which is why i end up fishing it the most of any of my rods.

Big-Bass wrote:
How would they compare in feel to my Sage ZXL? Thanks.

Night and day.
The Imperial is a nice stick for the money but it might feel a bit clunky and unbalanced after fishing the Sage. I had a 5wt for years as a backup and loaner rod to my out of state guests.
You can fihd these rods on the "used market" pretty darn cheap. Pick one up and if you don't like it, you caould eBay it.

Back