St. Croix Bank robbe

^ what he said, I can't imagine casting streamers with a slow rod, the only comfortable way for me is with fast strokes and high line speed.

I revoked my previous statement! The bank robber is listed as fast I believe. I was tossin around getting one but I may pick up the Winston entry level in a 7 or 8 to use for heavy streamers and steelhead / salmon.

FishingCreekEmerger wrote:
I revoked my previous statement! The bank robber is listed as fast I believe. I was tossin around getting one but I may pick up the Winston entry level in a 7 or 8 to use for heavy streamers and steelhead / salmon.

You know I have seen the Galloup commercial 100 times in his show but the one episode I have on tivo doesn't have the commercial. I *think it was stiff butt, medium flex in the middle and a fast tip.

Well, the inverse of what you described is a classic "parabolic action," soft-stiff-soft. I imagine it would make a funny lookin' stress curve.

I could also see them wanting to call it "fast" to cash in on the perceived need for fast rods to throw big flies long distances, when a true parabolic is supposed to be fantastic at loading deep and shooting line despite the fact that its usually termed slow, because the whole rod loads up with power. You'd think the inverse of this would be robbing you of the ability to cast distance, but I guess it also has to factor into things like fly weight and heavy sink tips.

I'm also lead to understand that the term "parabolic action" is akin to an albatross around neck, with being linked to "slow action" (can't have that) and quirky to cast due to teh way the rod feels when it loads through the stiff mid.

I don't know if I've ever experienced a real parabolic rod, but I'm told my Eagle Claws exhibit the quirk. Its supposed to almost feel like the rod bumps in your hand when the power transcends the stiffer mid.

I've use parabolics before. They have an interesting feel that I could only describe as despicable.

I tried to reject all the marketing around tip flex and fast action rods until I saw what I could do with one. And that's catch fish that I couldn't catch with any of my other rods by executing casts that previously were out of my range. I'm as surprised as anyone about that, but it was an eye opener. I have no problems with masking my flaws with gear.

I guess I just don't really think it's fair for you to insinuate that those of us that prefer a tip flex or fast action are doing so based on incorrectly perceived need. I see benefits with my stroke. Major benefits. Primarily, tip action rods throw tighter loops with ease. Tighter loops fly farther with more accuracy. Throwing a wide loop with a streamer is a recipe for failure if you're trying to meld distance with accuracy. I

jayL wrote:
I guess I just don't really think it's fair for you to insinuate that those of us that prefer a tip flex or fast action are doing so based on incorrectly perceived need. I see benefits with my stroke. Major benefits.

Not my intention, actually. I was, however, insinuating that most people won't look at anything that's not labeled as fast because they're told that's what you need to use, and in turn we've seen rods get faster and in turn lines get heavier to compenstate for the stiffer rods and blow the rather wisely devised AFTMA numbers out of sorts.

Case in point, guy tells me, "you want a fast action rod to punch that line out." Then I'm told, "oh, you bought that fast rod, you need this GPX line because its a half size heavier for fast action rods." Wouldn't I have better served buying a properly numbered rod and then putting a properly numbered line on it rather than starting to skew things off before you even left the store?

The Bank Robber is a rod wherein a specific action is made to serve a specific niche. I don't claim to have a clue as to what that action is, nor do I practice the niche filled by the rod. I do know the initial description wasn't fast, but specifically described the rod's stress curve which didn't sound like a "fast action" rod to me. Shortly after, a correction was posted, "no, the vendor says its fast!" All I'm sayin (and long-windedly so) is that no matter what the curve of the rod really was, they'd put the word FAST into the marketing coz its what hte people want.

jayL wrote:
I've use parabolics before. They have an interesting feel that I could only describe as despicable.

Could you try and explain, I'm not sure if I know what it is, but I'd like to.

(now, let me go edit the other post to take up your edit)

jayL wrote:
I have no problems with masking my flaws with gear.

I guess I just don't really think it's fair for you to insinuate that those of us that prefer a tip flex or fast action are doing so based on incorrectly perceived need. I see benefits with my stroke. Major benefits. Primarily, tip action rods throw tighter loops with ease. Tighter loops fly farther with more accuracy. Throwing a wide loop with a streamer is a recipe for failure if you're trying to meld distance with accuracy. I

gfen wrote:
no matter what the curve of the rod really was, they'd put the word FAST into the marketing coz its what hte people want.

Agreed. Fast sells cause it is moar better. And it is. In the right hands that is. And not my hands necessarily.

gfen wrote:
jayL wrote:

Could you try and explain, I'm not sure if I know what it is, but I'd like to.

(now, let me go edit the other post to take up your edit)

I cast a rod that was labeled as parabolic. It felt like it was breaking at the middle ferrule mid cast, and generated tons of line speed, but felt incredibly clunky doing it.

My friend loved it. I would never fish it. It was a long time ago, so I don't remember the whats and hows of the whole thing.

jdaddy wrote:
gfen wrote:
no matter what the curve of the rod really was, they'd put the word FAST into the marketing coz its what hte people want.

Agreed. Fast sells cause it is moar better. And it is. In the right hands that is. And not my hands necessarily.

I can agree with both posts.

My casting still has a very, very long way to go, but I am no longer so modest as to say that I don't reap the benefits of higher end rods. I've decided to get one of the best and the fastest, because I think I've finally gotten to a point that it's worth it to me.

jdaddy wrote:
Agreed. Fast sells cause it is moar better. And it is. In the right hands that is.

I think that's a perfect summation.

Back