St. Croix Bank robbe

BrandonMH

BrandonMH

Anyone ever use one of these? Been thinking about getting a streamer rod, they come in either 6wt or 7 wt 9ft. I was thinking about getting that in the future with Scientific anglers Galloup streamer express line. Not sure on the reel tho, but thinking large arbor since would be targeting larger trout and that, would probably want a decent amount of backing on there.

Ditto. Probably gonna through an Allen on it. Leaning toward 7wt to double duty for other applications.

Exactly what I was thinking. Could pull some light bass duty or light salmon if I wanted to with it. I do have that cheapo sci ang I got years ago, 8 wt, I think 9ft, I could use for some things as well. The 5wt helios probably doesn't have a whole lot to be tossing bigger streamers as well.

I just looked at the Alpha reel...looks pretty sharp and I know how many of you have raved about Allen. Might go that route. Still sitting on it for now, working on my truck atm, cold air intake, throttle body spacer, and probably going to replace the original shocks yet too, an exhaust might be later this summer as well. Making it a bit more fuel efficient, now if the rain would let me put it on and get lawns mowed, maybe I could salvage a fishing trip somewhere this weekend...

A few other quick questions. What is the normal tippet for say a size 12 wooly bugger? I'm guessing 3x ish, and could I use my 7.5 4wt to throw that (I have a while back)

I've been using a stiff action 9' 6wt which does fine, but I know a 7wt will feel better in my hands when tossing leaded up atriculated buggers. Recently I bought a 6wt predator which is shorter and nice for boat or pontoon fishing. I've been thinking about getting rid of the 9' 6 and going with a 7, but can't justify the $400 price tag for a new bank robber. Thinking about getting a used Scott saltwater rod or something along those lines. Just need to keep an eye out for a good deal...

That leader sounds about right for a small bugger. Unless I'm fishing for stockies, the smallest buggers I will go is a weighted size 8 and I can toss those around with a 4wt if need be. Not the case when tossing wind resistant bass bugs or weighted size 2 streamers. For those, I typically use a straight 3-4 foot length of 10lb mono.

Thanks, rain put a stop to fishing atm, although I have rain gear. Might sneak out later.

Yeah, I'm either getting one of these or an Orvis Hydros and putting a Lamson or an Allen on it with the galloup line

if either of you get one and decide they're not up to par, I'll take it off your hands for a cool $200:)

njk3395 wrote:
Yeah, I'm either getting one of these or an Orvis Hydros and putting a Lamson or an Allen on it with the galloup line

I'd get one of the heavier Lamsons if I were going that route. The Litespeed Hard Alox is a super light reel and only balances on super light rods in my experience.

I might just use that crappy 8 wt I've had sitting around. I just need a reel and line for it then. Might be a bit of overkill for some of the smaller stuff tho.

Which Lamson would you recommend?

I have seen an add on tv for the rod a few times while watching fishing shows on Versus. On the add it shows Kelly Gallup describing the rod. The rod has a really soft tip and a stiff butt. The soft tip allow you to impart movement in the fly. The stiff butt allows you to cast heavy streamers.

TYoung wrote:
I have seen an add on tv for the rod a few times while watching fishing shows on Versus. On the add it shows Kelly Gallup describing the rod. The rod has a really soft tip and a stiff butt. The soft tip allow you to impart movement in the fly. The stiff butt allows you to cast heavy streamers.

Dear TYoung,

If that is actually the way the rod is described I can't possibly see how it would work other than in an ad campaign?

It seems obvious to me that the shortest most direct connection would allow me to impart the most action to a fly, that can only be accomplished with a stiff tip.

That way the same amount of movement in the tip accomplishes a corresponding amount of movement in the fly. A soft tip will have to be moved farther to impart action to the fly. I want a stiff fast tip when I working a Zara Spook for example.

Keep in mind that the momentum of the fly line is the delivery method for the fly and has nothing to do with the rod or it's action. A 7 weight line will cast larger bulkier flies better than a 6 weight regardless of who is working the rod, it's simple physics. F=MA

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Even the Lamson Konic has the same drag technology as the upper end models but in a forged reel. I have several and they work great. For what I paid for them, I am not upset at all if they get trashed.

I also own several Allen reels. (Alpha and Trout). They are great for the money, but have had some issues with the drag being exposed in really cold weather and while carp fishing in the muck.

You can't go wrong in either direction, If you don't mind spending the extra bucks, I'd go with the Lamson.

Speaking of carp, I forget what flies to use for them and what weight rod. There is an old zinc mine hole near my house that I grew up fishing, and I know and saw some huge carp there. The other week, when I helped stock the trout for Optimist club fishing contest for the kids, saw a golden fish jump out of the water. They thought I was nuts, as did I kinda agree for a bit, but yesterday I saw about five of them, golden, and one albino carp, plus about four smaller, black or greyish carp. All about the size of a good largemouth, which I saw some huge ones too. I know someone threw walleye in there years ago, a friend snagged it retrieving a spinner, also saw fairly big oscars a few years ago, but they probably froze and died.

Slower action rods allow for a more open loop. A fast tip allows for a tighter loop allowing that awful crack sound when the weighted circus peanut smashes into it. A stiff butt is synonymous with slower rods. If any disagree I ask you to cast a old bamboo rod. I just bought a sage vxp 10' 5 wt and I could not imagine casting a size 4 weighted streamer........

I prefer fast actions and high line speeds with streamers, but I am usually making longer casts with them, as I only do the bank robbing thing a few times a year.

It's closer to double hauling and throwing a baseball than it is casting, but I find it preferable.

Back