squirell tails?

Here is a fox squirrel that I picked up on the road one day a few years back while working. It was a real fresh one (still kinda flopping). Tossed it into the bed of the truck and when I got home I skinned out the whole animal. For animal skins I often use a mixture of salt and borax. No need to debone the tail, just liberally apply the salt/borax to the end of it and it will dry it out. Any squirrel tail that you would actually buy for fly tying more than likely will still have the bone in it.
It doesn't hurt to leave the tail in the skin since it's all tendons and bones. If you can, it also doesn't hurt to just pull the tail out of the skin while it's still attached to the body. It's easier to roll up the skin after curing with salt and borax without a bone in the tail. Pickling alum is also a good preservative but don't overdo it. ALWAYS trim any fat away from the skin since it will go rancid and ooze grease onto anything it touches. Squirrels are pretty lean but rabbits will have some fat (especially tame ones).

Now the real question is this: Is it worth trying to tan your own squirrel tails (I myself enjoy doing a little squirrel hunting from time to time) or is it worth the $7 to buy one.
i do the same. i have a bundle of tails which is why i posted this topic. my original plan was to mail them to mepps. but never did. after hunting i brine my squirels in buttermilk then grill them with bbq sauce and place over white rice. its very good. brining makes them more tender. its a win win. i get to hunt small game, then eat dinner, then have fly tying material. i snip the tails off with bone in and just salt the part i cut off.

i do the same. i have a bundle of tails which is why i posted this topic. my original plan was to mail them to mepps. but never did. after hunting i brine my squirels in buttermilk then grill them with bbq sauce and place over white rice. its very good. brining makes them more tender. its a win win. i get to hunt small game, then eat dinner, then have fly tying material. i snip the tails off with bone in and just salt the part i cut off.
Ever consider keeping the skins? They make great collars for nymphs and very buggy dubbing.

In my case, storing animal skins in the freezer worked much better when I was single than when I was married.

Here is a fox squirrel that I picked up on the road one day a few years back while working. It was a real fresh one (still kinda flopping). Tossed it into the bed of the truck and when I got home I skinned out the whole animal. For animal skins I often use a mixture of salt and borax. No need to debone the tail, just liberally apply the salt/borax to the end of it and it will dry it out. Any squirrel tail that you would actually buy for fly tying more than likely will still have the bone in it.

View attachment 1641233464

Looks like it was a flying squirrel to me! 😂

Back