squirell tails?

Kyle

Kyle

any members here using squirell tails for flys? or are they mainly for skirts on Mepps in line spinners? i have a handful of squirell tails that i would like to use. would like to see what, if any, flys you tied with the tails. they seem to course to use as dubbing. maybe wet flys? or some crazy looking wing case/emerger pattern?

Wet flies such as a Picket Pin or any hair wing type fly.
Here is the Picket Pin. I threw the cdc in at the collar just as an experiment- it’s not a part of the original pattern. Real old school wet fly pattern.

The second one is a variant of the Picket Pin called the Pick Pocket using Fox Squirrel tail hair for the wing. In size 12 this one is an awesome native brookie fly.

Both of these patterns are serious fish catchers!

IMG 8425
IMG 7378

The Squirrel Tail Streamer was pretty popular back in the day. A buddy of mine used to fish those a lot.

i use squirrel tails for streamers, hairwing atlantic salmon flies, steelhead flies, nymphs, wet flis etc

not uncommon material

The body fur is more useful IMO. I don't think I ever used up an entire tail.

Squirrel bodies make better hares ear than hares ear. Really spikey.

I found the inside base of tail (above the rectum) makes best winging material. Not as Slippery and not as much white. I don't think 🤔 the fish give a Squirrels @$$ about the white, but I I prefer the Pickett Pin without it.

@dc410
Like the addition of CDC

Now the real question is this: Is it worth trying to tan your own squirrel tails (I myself enjoy doing a little squirrel hunting from time to time) or is it worth the $7 to buy one.

Here’s a link to an older thread here on Picket Pins that I thought was quite interesting. https://www.paflyfish.com/threads/picket-pin.22745/

I tie my own Picket Pins with woodchuck guard hair rather than squirrel hair, although it may not make much difference, but I prefer using woodchuck because it is somewhat softer and more crinkly than squirrel. In the early season it is deadly in both the east and west in smaller sizes.

I number of years back I had my young grandson fishing just below a bridge on the Gallatin River in Montana and I had him fishing a Picket Pin. There was another guy fishing just across the river from us, and after my grandson, Alex, had caught 4 or 5 trout and the guy across from us hadn’t caught anything, my grandson looked at me and asked “How come I’m catching all these trout and that other man isn’t catching anything, Grandpa?”

“It’s because you’re a better fisherman, Alex.” I replied.

Now the real question is this: Is it worth trying to tan your own squirrel tails (I myself enjoy doing a little squirrel hunting from time to time) or is it worth the $7 to buy one.
Why would you want or need to tan them?

I use them for wings on streamers, wet flies and jigs and tails on nymphs like Ed Shenk's Big Gray Nymph. IMHO, squirrel tails look good with grizzly hackle collars. They are on the stiff/slow to sink side so better when fishing streamers/jigs fast and high. Softer materials have more action at slow speed and "collapse" and have less drag when pulled so they sink faster. The soft to stiff hierarchy used to be something like marabou - Arctic fox - bucktail - calftail - squirrel tail. Wing material adjusted to get the action needed. Marabou can move just sitting there in a stream - squirrel tail needs to be worked. Used to tie with squirrel tail a lot at one time and would go through tails. Material is a little slippery to tie in and the base hairs are softer.

The base of the squirrel tail has some meat in it so you need to do something to keep the meat from rotting. I used to let the end of the tail sit in salt (or borax) until completely dried. I did this more when I was young because I was broke and liked free materials and used more squirrel tail. (back in the day used a lot of pheasant tail, muskrat fur, deer hair etc because of free supply from hunters). Now I don't use it much so I buy squirrel tails when I need them every few years. Not that expensive and can pick from a bunch at a shop/show to find a good one. Also, the most expensive fur I ever got was free. DIY runs the risk of introducing pests or getting your materials to smell funky, so if a free material contaminates your good stuff it isn't worth it.

I just leave the tail in and salt it. Don't put them in your other materials if you do this. I leave them in my garage.

As stated above... Picket Pins, some traditional Steelhead/Salmon flies use Squirrel quite a bit, if that's your jam.

Jigs, can add it in your dubbing and like others mentioned.

Truth be told, I have never used a squirrel tail at my tying bench, and I have never incorporated it into a fly pattern.

Here is a fox squirrel that I picked up on the road one day a few years back while working. It was a real fresh one (still kinda flopping). Tossed it into the bed of the truck and when I got home I skinned out the whole animal. For animal skins I often use a mixture of salt and borax. No need to debone the tail, just liberally apply the salt/borax to the end of it and it will dry it out. Any squirrel tail that you would actually buy for fly tying more than likely will still have the bone in it.

IMG 6811

Back