Spruce Creek New CRALO

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
The land along Spruce Creek recently acquired from the Indian Caverns is slated to be designated Class A and will be under CRALO regulation.

Plus 99 more wild trout designations and more 33 Class A's

Details on Spruce Creek reg change beginning on Page 11 of the minutes from last Commissioners meeting:

https://www.fishandboat.com/AboutUs/MinutesAgendas/Documents/agendasDocs/2019-04agd.pdf

Again, I'll ask this question. Why is the entire Spruce Ck not designated as Class A? I assume the PFBC doesn't want to "upset" the private clubs that decimate the stream by stocking and pellet feeding. If it were to be Class A extra protection would be required under the exceptional value classification. Just another example of how PFBC doesn't really have wild trout's best interest in the forefront of their agenda.

timbow wrote:
Again, I'll ask this question. Why is the entire Spruce Ck not designated as Class A? I assume the PFBC doesn't want to "upset" the private clubs that decimate the stream by stocking and pellet feeding. If it were to be Class A extra protection would be required under the exceptional value classification. Just another example of how PFBC doesn't really have wild trout's best interest in the forefront of their agenda.

Exactly. It's not just Spruce. There are streams all over the state like this. Yellow Creek here in Bedford is the same way. You're telling me the only part of the stream that's Class A is a 1.72 mile section? Something isn't right there. Obviously.

This ties back into the state stocking over Class A fish thing too. You'll hear the argument from PFBC that they only stock 13 Class A sections. That may be technically true, but how many Class A's get stockings right up to the boundary? Like fish don't move? They've done studies themselves showing that stocked rainbows moved up to 12 miles within the first 3 days of stocking. Where the Class A is headwaters and they stock downstream, where do you think those stockers end up?

It's all presented with plausible deniability. They can say they're "putting wild trout first" because they've got X number of miles of Class A with protections. The reality is, they themselves are contributing to the problem just outside of those Class A sections on the same stream.

So this is a new section that can be fished in addition to the Penn State owned section? That's exciting!

DanL wrote:
So this is a new section that can be fished in addition to the Penn State owned section? That's exciting!

Meh, I find it more depressing than exciting. It's depressing seeing what a wonderful fishery Spruce Creek would be if it wasn't for all the shenanigans that go on there.

Back