Spring time Big D/NEPA trip

jayL

jayL

All,

See the linked Delaware River thread. There is an ongoing discussion about the possibility of a delaware river trip this spring. I created this thread to get the word out to those that might have missed the original. Here is my "info" post from that thread:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This applies to anyone interested:

Bookmark this thread, or sign up for a notification of new posts at the bottom of the page.

Check back occasionally, or bump the thread as spring is arriving to stoke interest once again.

In my experience, the only time these trips come to fruition is when someone either a) raises it repeatedly to the others, or b) takes the planning aspect over, makes decisions on dates, times, locations, and sets it in stone.

B is usually most effective, as planning as a group is often difficult.

I'm not willing to take B right now, but may be in the future. If someone wants to step up, by all means do so.

This is still very early in the planning phases, but can easily come together with a little persistence and interest from the group.

To anyone interested in planning: I rented the drift boat from West Branch Angler for $90. They placed it up near the dam, and we floated back to the shop. They also have an expansive and relatively affordable "lodge" with a few bedrooms and a common area. There is also a bar on site. It would be PRIME for a jamboree style gathering, as the fridge would easily hold a few hundred beers. Cabins are available too, but more expensive. The whole compound is waterfront, and the fly shop is top notch.

I know there are some campers in the group, but keep that in mind.

Link to thread.

Jay,

I'm interested in making a trip to the D. I usually make a few trips every season, the first being in late Apr / early May for the hendrickson hatch. A few things, West Branch Angler is a good lodge and shop, but is in NY. You must travel downriver to fish if you don't have a NY license. Ditto for a drift boat. Also, the lodge books quickly, especially during prime fishing times, if the gang waits to book, no rooms would likely be available.

Further, the D is a tailwater and the flow has been just nuts the last few years. The D was high last spring (too high for wading) and extremely low the spring before(too low for drift boats). It's really a crap shoot. I usually make my plans based on the current and projected flow in order to have a better chance to hit some good fishing. With that being said, why don't we float a trial balloon and see if there's interest. The Jam is the 3rd week of May, so I suggest the weekend of May 1st. Respond to this thread and let's see how many are game, and if they would like to book the lodge. There are also some hotels in the area, but as Jay said the WBA is a nice spot to fish from.

FYI, here is the link to WBA:

http://www.westbranchresort.com/

Tom,

Good call. I forget that I always buy a NY license and others don't. :lol:

I've already put in for vacation to fish the hendricksons up there.
I'm off the last week of april - the 24th thru may 1. Been taking that same week for the last 4 years now. Last year, the river was extremely low then - the WB was running 200-300 cfs. It made reaching the fish very easy - even on the main stem - and the fishing was great. And the timing was perfect. The hendricksons hatched all week, and were pretty much finished by May 1 - in the PA water anyway. I saw march browns hatching more and more by the end of the week.
I also hit the hendricksons well up there in 2008.

However, in 2006 and 2007, the river was practically in flood stage then. And I changed plans - ended up fishing grannoms on penns both those years.

As afish said, you can never be sure what you're gonna get up there. And if it is high, there's really now where else to go in that area - at least nothing that I'm aware of anyway.
And for a dryfly nut like me, it's really a long 7 hour drive for nothing. So, I'd be leary of commiting to a jam. But if it does work out, I'd love to be able to fish with you guys there

3wt7x has really instilled some curiousity in me........
I'll be watching the flows, committing now but only if the flows are right. Kinda like steelhead and the rain.
Plus Chicky's never seen it. :)

Pad and I stayed at the West Branch Anglers the time we were up there. Good people and very nice place. I would stay there again if I get the chance.....would like to go back!

PaulG

i too would like to fish the d again, 2002 was the last time i was there i did a weekend at al caucci`s place

Dang West Branches photo gallery looks like Beavers, only without the Beav and the pelletheads.
Menu looks outstanding, (when they only have a few items its usually excellent) nice accomodations, pets allowed.
Bit pricey but it seems you get what you're paying for.
My buddys on page 6 of the wild trout photo gallery, it says Karl+fish. Wonder if anybody knows him?
Used to be on the Grey Ghost guides up there.

It is definitely near my upper limit, when it comes to "niceness". I like to treat myself now and then, and the fact that it's basically all inclusive sells it for me.

The big lodge/cabin thing had room for over 10 people, I think. I met some very interesting anglers there.

I'll definately be paying attention to whatever you guys plan out. I am planning on making a couple trips to the Big D this year, as it was a life altering experience last year. I wade fished last year and was limited, as far as access goes, but I still found plenty of slurping hogs every evening. I also have aquired a canoe this year that I'd be willing to take up. I don't like fly fishing from a canoe, but we could float down and beach it at different access points. Just something to keep in mind...I'm stoked!!!

Guys-

I fish with a guide a few times every year. I booked two days at the end of April for the Hendrickson's and will spend in total 4-5 days up there fishing. I put in for some vacation.

I drag a Kayak for floating the river. In the past I have stayed at West Branch it is quite nice, good food and bar besides the cabins.

Count me in!!!

I'm not big on float trips. Even when I fish out west.
I did float the Big D a few times when I first started fishing up there. Then I started wade fishing, and really found it to be just as productive. And that's how I fish there now.
However, I do admit floating would be the better option during high water flows.
Last year, I fished 7 days in a row up there the last week of april. And the WB was too low for drift boats. All of the float trips went straight to the main stem and put in. But that was unusual flows for that time of year

jayL wrote:
It is definitely near my upper limit, when it comes to "niceness". I like to treat myself now and then, and the fact that it's basically all inclusive sells it for me.

The big lodge/cabin thing had room for over 10 people, I think. I met some very interesting anglers there.

Guys

Pad and I stayed in one of their Cabins along the stream, they are very nice. I don't remember the prices anymore, it was costly, but like Jay said it's nice to treat yourself now and then.

PaulG

When you fish the D you really can't count on much. The Hale Eddy flows can be 200CFS (like last year this time) which makes easy fishing, but puts lots of pressure on the trout. Or they can be 2000 CFS. I started using a Kayak. I can still float (and get far away from everyone else) on the 200CFS days and I still have a way to fish when the river is over 1000 and beyond wading ability.

There are other options in the area including the East Branch, Beaverkill, etc.

You can count on there being bugs on the water, and trout in the water! That is why I will be there for the week...

JG

I could be persuaded to try this trip if it involved at least a day on the famous NY streams just southeast of Hale Eddy. In fact, a cabin/camp/motel in the Hancock Area would put us about twenty minutes from Hale Eddy and about 40 minutes from Roscoe, NY. I don't know the area except for the maps consulted, but depending upon the water conditions in the Delaware stems, good water might be found by heading deeeper east into NY. If the D is ripe, no need for a NY license, but a single day license might be well worth the cost if the Delaware is blown out.

Thoughts from locals?

Found this:

Google Map Annotated for Fishing

http://www.nypeacefulvalley.com/rates.html

Jack - Hancock is a great central location to fish the Big D IMO It has quite a few motels to choose from. There also used to be a bed and breakfast there. And Al Caucci's place is just outside of town on the PA side of the west branch

I remember the Capra Hotel rates from last year were only around $55.00 a night for double occupancy. The Hotel is right in Hancock and there is a nice lighted table to tie flies at every night after you get off the water. I was there during the peak of the Sulpher/Green Drake hatch and there was plenty of room a the Capra, to the point that I did not have to book in advance. There is also a nice bar run by a couple ladies right up the road. A lot of guides go there every night and it is a great fly fishing atmosphere.

Jask,

When I lived in the NE, I would make a trip nearly every weekend in the spring and early summer. If the D wasn't in good shape we would hit the other Catskill streams, the Beaverkill, Willow, etc.

You are right, Hancock is a great home base for the WB, EB, & MS of the D as well as the other Catskill streams. Something to ponder.

I am interested but I can not make make any firm commitment at this time. When I stayed the "whitehouse" at West Branch Angler- the room rate was $59. They have 5-6 different rooms with some guests having to share a bathroom. On the plus side there was a full size kitchen with all amenities if you did'nt want to eat out.

Jack- it's a haul. 7-8 hour ride.

I always wanted to go too the D with people that new what they where doing. Last year i went on a special ops mission to scope the area and was still befudelled on the regulation. Could i go on that side or stay on this side. where can i go and so on. I wouldn't mind spending my 30th on the shores of the Delaware. Keep me informed. When it comes to fishing or hunting i will sleep anywhere ground, car, tent, cabin, its all good.

Back