spring creek tips

Fishman12992

Fishman12992

Any tips on fishing this stream? I'm new to the area so any input on this stream would greatly help my girlfriend and I.

Are you referring to Spring Creek in Centre County (this is what would typically be considered by the readers of this forum)? There are many "spring creeks" not to mention the generic use of the term to describe limestone streams.

In any case, if the answer is yes, the main tip I'd include is to fish it on a cloudy or rainy day with small nymphs.

Take a look at the Reports forum or the Fly Fishing Locations forum. Do a search and you'll see that there is a lot of info already written about this stream.

Centre county is correct, basically looking at place that at accessable, lodging, and eateries. Planning on spending the weekend down there. Thanks I'll look for other info on this forum.

If you are talking about this weekend there is a lot of snow. I was over there yesterday and parking is a problem. There is parking at The Paradise and right above Rt550. If you have 4 wheel drive you can get into the other parking spots. As far as lodging and restaurants there are plenty.

If you are coming this weekend give me a call I can show you around.

PM sent

I got a little subaru so it shouldn't be a problem just hoping the water level don't rise. Yes I'm heading there this weekend if the weather is permitting.

Here are a couple of stream reports from the local shops.

http://flyfishersparadise.com/stream-reports/spring-creek

http://www.tcoflyfishing.com/TCO_Fly_Fishing_Stream_Conditions_Display.cfm?stream=Spring%20Creek

http://www.orvis.com/fishing_report.aspx?locationid=6016

Give them a call for up-to-date conditions.

Good luck.

Spring creek is very low. Come with plenty of small lightly weighted nymphs. Low and slow, I did well with streamers this past weekend. Not so well on nymphs, but with warmer temps on the way hopefully the fish will be more active. Btw, I pulled a Subaru out of the snow on spring creek this past weekend so just be careful. I saw a jeep get pulled out as well.

I know Spring Creek very well, it was my home stream for quite a while. MOST of it is easily accessible. The most popular areas are:

Benner Springs – Take Shiloh Road exit off of I99/220. Road goes down over the hill and across the bridge and there’s a big fisherman’s lot there. Can walk and fish up or down for quite a distance. Down takes you into the canyon section.

Fishermen’s Paradise – Take 150 N from I99, then a quick left on Paradise Rd. At the bottom of the hill, turn left. Dead ends at a large fishermen’s parking lot. This area is FFO no wading regs, and the water rather “improved”. Lots of wild fish and some hatchery escapees mixed in. You can walk upstream for miles into the canyon, and you get back to AT C&R and wading allowed up there.

Spring Creek Road – Get there like you’re going to fisherman’s paradise, but at the bottom of that hill, go right instead. Road snakes along the stream. This is filled with houses and cabins, but the water is all open and there are a number of PFBC lots.

Those are the famous/popular places, but you can also access it below Bellefonte, or upstream at Rock Rd, Houserville, etc.

Advice? Well, at this time of year if you really want dry flies, evening midges in slower areas. But that can be frustrating. You’re better off either nymphing or tossing streamers at midday. There are fish everywhere. Truly, it’s ridiculous how many fish are in that stream. If it looks even a little fishy, then there’s fish there. In the impressive holes, there’s hundreds. Like anywhere, they tend to like current breaks. Along the edges of the main current, any V’s in riffles, etc.

As far as lodging, State College is a large town with plenty of hotels and motels and such. It’s real close, we’re talking 5 minutes to the closest spots and no more than 20 to the farthest. Same with restaurants. You have you’re standard college bars downtown and any chain restaurant you care to imagine on the outskirts. For a good, more upscale local bar, I suggest the American Alehouse and Grill in Toftrees. Good beer list, great food, usually pretty laid back and uncrowded. Often have a piano guy. I mention it cause it’s one you’d never find running the main drags, kinda tucked in a residential area. For bar/pizza, Faccia Luna on S Atherton St. is excellent with good wood fired pizza. If you want more college type crazy nightlife, go downtown. I always loved The Phyrst on a Saturday night, but be prepared for banjos, drunk sing alongs, the stench of stale beer, the best fries you ever ate, and table wars. :)

Fishman12992 wrote:
just hoping the water level don't rise.

And if it does, fish streamers. Last spring I took a trip out there and the first stream I fished was Spring. It was borderline blown out from a massive rainstorm the day before but I decided to give it a try anyways, and I'm glad I did. The fishing was awesome.

As pcray said, it's loaded. No need to drive around to a ton of locations trying to locate fish. They're everywhere. I don't really think there's a "bad" section of that stream.

Small BWO's and black stone fly dries will be hatching this weekend.

I've seen BWO's this early, but not real commonly. Another couple weeks and yes, the hatch cycle will have begun.

Thank you all for the advice and tips, sounds like this will be a fun adventure.

I've seen a good many BWOs coming off on spring creek over the weekend, but no risers

Fish the banks. Make a stealthy approach and cast before you step in. I can't tell you how many fish I spooked that were hugging the bank in just a few inches of water. Plan to fish small nymphs if the water is low and clear. If you want to try your luck with dry flies or if you see fish rising, have BWOs (duns and emergers) and midges. They won't be hatching, but elk hair caddis will take fish also. Best of luck and have fun.

I really neede to make a trip out to State College ... my wife wants to head to Chi-town this summer to visit her sister. I can't stand my brother-inlaw so I'm trying to convince her to go w/out me ... if that happens a trip for Stags may be in play.

Stags,

What you need to do is to attend the jam.

Yea Pcray I'll make one in the next few ... they really do seem like a great time. U seem to have a mutual 'duck' friend all giddy over his 1st jam :)

Stagger_Lee wrote:
... I can't stand my brother-inlaw so I'm trying to convince her to go w/out me ...

Let me guess, he's a liberal. :cool:

JackM wrote:

Let me guess, he's a liberal. :cool:

Lol .. just a complete moron amongst a host of so many other things.

Back