Spring Creek Sulphurs

If you choose to.

You can buy odd size hooks, size 15, 17 etc. I've thought about doing that but haven't so far.

For BWOs, I think a size 17 would be pretty nice. I don't like using a hook as small as #18. I use size 16 for BWOs, and just tie the pattern small, but size 16 is a little large. A size 17 hook might be perfect.
Never saw odd-size hooks. I may need to look outside the Jann's catalog.

I can't imagine for a second that the shank length of fly tying hooks between brands is even remotely universal when comparing sizes, even on hooks with the same bend.

Therefore one brand's size 16 may be another brand's 15 and so on...

Go from a Perfect to a Sproat bend or vice versa and you can accomplish something similar while maintaining a larger gape.

Since I don't tie specific fly patterns for specific bugs, I have always based my flies and more specifically what size I tie based on what I encounter while fishing.

I have carried a small metal metric scale (ruler) with me for decades. When I encounter a "new" bug I measure its proportions, write them down and when I get to the tying bench I measure the shank length of my hooks to see what size gives me the shank length I need for the body.

That exactness doesn't always impress the fish, but it makes me feel like I have a fighting chance... ;)

I was there that epic hatch too.

But I have had plenty of good hatches since. Not that good. Just regular good.

Sulfurs weak the last few years on Spring creek. There are one or two strong days in the portion of Spring I fish. Gone are the glory days of the "80s and "90s. Too much runoff from development in state college area.

A size 15 sulphur is a good idea.

A size 17 BWO is a good idea too.
I actually bought some size 17 hooks. First time I ever saw something like that.

Back