Spring Creek Late October

salmo

salmo

I will be fishing Spring Creek just outside of Bellefonte in late October. What is your opinion of the best method to fish? Dries, nymphs, buggers or streamers? My rod of choice is a 4 wt. 8 ft. Sage. My next rod is a 7 wt. 8 ft. Orvis. Thanks in advance. Will it be too late for hoppers?

Leave the 7wt because it is overkill for the stream, the 4wt will be fine. Be prepared to do a bunch of nymphing with primarily scuds and sowbugs.

If I fish with a dry - dropper how much tipper between the dry and the nymph?

salmo wrote:
If I fish with a dry - dropper how much tipper between the dry and the nymph?

For that route I would definitely go with a caddis and scud combo. I normally fish a dry dropper with about 12 inches of tippet between the two on spring.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
That would be during the spawn, no?

Probably early for spawning on Spring but it's worth mentioning to raise awareness. Some early bloomers will likely be trying their luck..

I promise to wade carefully and avoid any redds.

I was on spring today. Caught fish on egg patterns, zebra midges, grasshopper patterns, beetle patterns, scuds

The fishing was decent but water was low and the fish were incredibly spooky. Made things tough.

1hook:
Sounds like a pretty good day despite the poor conditions.

Interesting that it's early for the spawn on Spring. I assumed the timing would be closer to NCPA than SCPA. That being said, I saw no paired up fish this past weekend in Potter, though I did see a few redds. The brookies I caught were definitely colored up and getting ready. The brownies didn't really look buttery yet.

Back