Spring carp runs

724flyfishing

724flyfishing

I'll give you a little back round on my situation here and hopefully some of you could help point me in the right direction to take advantage of local resource I have. There's a huge, strictly off limits, reservoir near where I live that supplies all the drinking water to the county. The main creek that feeds it runs through my in-laws property. I'd guess it's a good 1/4 mile or more I have access to and maybe 20-25 feet wide. It's a typical warm water creek in that there's normally a slow flow, silt bottom, and shallow with some deep holes around bends.

Every spring, anywhere from the middle of March to the middle of April, depending on weather, etc., carp run up this creek to spawn. I'm talking hundreds of huge, magnum sized carp that live in that reservoir all year. It's really a sight to see. I've tried the past few years with spin gear with no luck. It seems like once they hit that clear stream water at my inlaws (about 2 miles upstream from the reservoir), they become extremely spooky. This year I finally have a big enough fly rod to handle one so I want to give it a try.

So any tips, techniques, fly suggestions would be a great help. I have the time now to start tying some flies just for this. Once stock trout season starts, any tying time will probably be going to replenishing trout flies. I think if I can get a handle on this and get it figured out, I could really have something here in walking distance.

Carp are inherently spooky.

You want flies with movement built in. Crayfish and nymphs of varying weights so they have varying sink rates.

The mudding fish are your targets that are willing to play. Suspended fish not so much.

I don't know if carp even eat during spawning runs. Most of nature is low on nutrition during reproduction proceedings.

I know the reservoir you're talking about. From the stories I've heard about folks who have supposedly fished there, the fishing sounds to good to be true, but for whatever reason I believe the stories...

It must be quite a sight to see all those carp in a spawning run in a creek. I have witnessed and fished over spawning carp about 20 years ago in a lake near Saint Vincent College. The lake is behind the gristmill, walking distance from the campus. I went there to just go for a walk around the lake and witnessed hundreds of carp sloshing about all in a tight group at the surface one day. I grabbed a loaf of bread and my spinning rod to try and catch some the next day. They were still going at it. I made a ton of casts right into the pod of fish and never caught one. I threw bread to them and they completely ignored it... It's possible that they may not feed while spawning like the other post said. Hearing your attempt to catch them before being unsuccessful makes me believe it even more when I think to my experience. But who knows... If I were in your position I think I would take another crack at it. You might find some info on the warm and saltwater page.

MathFish wrote:
I know the reservoir you're talking about. From the stories I've heard about folks who have supposedly fished there, the fishing sounds to good to be true, but for whatever reason I believe the stories...

Yep. Ive heard the stories too. My buddy grew up within walking distance of the reservoir and fished it alot when he was younger.

Theres supposedly a decent amount of toothy fish between the Kiski river and the outflow of the reservoir.

Wait until the spawning is over and try then. hopefully they will still be hanging around. The males get crazy and splash and roll around a lot during the spawn. Very little interest in feeding at those times. Right after the spawn, game on.

If they are actively chasing or cruising in the spawning process you will be hard pressed to interest them in any fly. Targeting carp that are actively feeding or "mudding" is by far your best opportunity to hook up with one.

I've done some research on the subject in the past and have read that carp will not feed when they're paired up and actively spawning. However this doesn't last long and otherwise they should be browsing. Or so I've read. I have saw some rooting around in the mud before during this too, so I'm trying to remain confident this can happen and work lol.

As for the reservoir stories... I grew up in walking distance from there as well and snuck in there hundreds of times when I was younger. I have had some days and stories that you probably wouldn't believe me if I told you, but just like anywhere you have your bad days. I'm too old for all that now though. I'll just stick to places I don't have to look over my shoulder constantly.

I always wanted to fish the outflow to the Kiski but I think it's mostly private property. From what I've been told that's a bottom release of sorts. It's not releasing 100' below the surface like the Yough, but it still stays relatively cool during the summer. Some people that live along it have built little dams and stock their own trout in there that supposedly hold over pretty well. This is all hear-say tho. I have never personally fished it or checked it out.

I didn't see the last two posts before I just commented. CLSsports and dc410, you basically just said/confirmed what I have read while researching this too.

724flyfishing wrote: I have saw some rooting around in the mud before during this too, so I'm trying to remain confident this can happen and work lol.
Definitely keep after them. I would try to observe them during their movement and as soon as you see one "mudding" or actively rooting (head down into the silt and tail up). Get into position to take a shot at that fish. If you can get a fly into "the zone" without spooking the fish, you have a real decent chance. Almost all of my carpin' is targeting (sight fishing) carp that are actively feeding. Mud clouds and the telltale string of "carp bubbles" are what I focus on. Being able to pass on fish that are in real tough positions or aren't occupied with rooting and feeding is a real important aspect of my fly carpin' game. Good luck!

DC- thanks for the tips. If they're rooting around in the mud what's the best way, or most successful for you, to present a fly? I have enough drift in this creek that I could nymph like a trout stream but I'm afraid too much casting would spook them fast.

Most of my carp fishing is done in silty, slow moving warmwater streams so I'm not used to having much current speed. I usually fish flies that are heavy enough to get to bottom quickly but not too heavy to spook the fish on the delivery. "The zone" I'm talking about is approximately 12-18" in front of the feeding carp. A little bit off to one side is also very effective because it is a dead giveaway that the fish has spotted the fly if it turns in the direction of it. Be careful casting to them from behind them, because if you "line them" it is definitely "game over". Use flies tied with marabou, bunny strips, soft hackle or rubber legs. I feel the natural movement of the materials in a carp pattern is very important to entice them to take the fly. Experience on the stream is probably the most important factor. As you manage to stick and land a few carp on your fly rod your confidence will soar. Good luck!

Fish arrow will kill those nasty invasive species more effectively. Preferably before they pollute the water with their spawning! (how's that for Old School?)

Screw it...Just snag em!....try to get within a foot or so of them them strip that thing right in front of their Ole bugle lips...pending you didnt spook them with your cast 3 things will happen...they will make a 180 and just say eff you, they will eat it or they will follow it back to you and 50/50 chance of it getting eaten...tie flies with eyes on top so it turns hook up

Back