Spotting fish?

goodfortune

goodfortune

I would like to become better at spotting fish. I wear amber-tinted polarized shades that fit over my Rx glasses when I fish, and (I think) I'm getting better at IDing likely holding lies. However, I often have a hard time seeing or finding the fish themselves until they're spooked.

Can anyone offer any tips or ideas on how I can become better at sight fishing? All input is welcome; thanks in advance everyone.

Amber lenses are a good all round color. Personally, I like yellow for most stream and river fishing but truth be told I don't think there's much difference other than maybe the yellow being a slight bit better in cloudy or darker conditions. Learning to see fish, and trout in particular, is a major skill set leading to succesful fishing - esp for large trout. Once you've developed that ability to read water and know where trout are likely to be holding, you'll want to narrow it down to identifying the actual, individual fish. While there's obviously no substitute for experience, I'd suggest the following "drill." The next time you catch a trout or steelhead, release it into fairly shallow water with some current speed. Set your rod aside and just watch the newly released fish. Oftentimes, they'll lay in one spot for awhile as they regain their strength. Just watch that fish for a few minutes. Look at the profile of the fish: Notice the torpedo shape; notice that it is facing into the current; notice that the tail moves imperceptibly but moves nonetheless; notice as the fish breathes the white lining in the mouth; notice the dark shadow beneath the fish if it's sunny. After you've done this awhile, back further away from the fish and try to spot those same "markers." Then, carefully move downstream from the fish and study it again looking for the same things. Most of your trout hunting will involve looking upstream so study that fish from downstream just as if you'd actually snuck up on him. These physical markers will gradually burn into your mind and you'll soon find that you're seeing fish by actually seeing one of these markers. With practice, you'll get better at picking out trout from the rocky, natural forms on the bottom as well as learning how to tell the subtle markers that distinguish trout from suckers or other fish.

When I scan a stretch its always looking for an object longer and thinner pointing into the current as my starting tactic.

Go to a stocked stream and start by looking for stocked fish. The general rule there is to look for what squaretail and FI mentioned, but the fish are often dark colored. Sight fishing is very important to effectively catch stocked trout (and steelhead).

It's less important for wild fish, IMO, but the practice on stockers will help. The stuff mentioned above describes my tactics, but keep in mind that wild fish are never easy to spot. They often blend right in with the surroundings.

Here's a few things I'll add. I look for the specific characteristics of fish... for steelhead I look for the rosy cheeks. They usually stick out until you get caught looking at a red leaf on the bottom of the stream (been there done that). Also look for the lateral line. Sometimes that will stick out on a fish in certain water conditions. And lastly, as someone pointed out, you're usually downstream of fish so look for the tail. It is always the one consistant thing on a fish that is moving so it can sometimes be a good indicator of a fish when the rest is basically still. That's some other things I key on when trying to spot fish.

Another one that just occurred to me...

If you suspect you see a fish but aren't sure, focus on a rock next to it. Fish will usually drift back and forth, and you can more easily detect that movement against a fixed reference point.

Finding wher the fish are are the biggest aid in catching fish; stocked or wild (but wild for sure).

My advise is to spook holding areas, or what you think are good holding areas, to see where the fish sit and feed. Look for the darks and where they originate.

I still do this from time to time to make sure I'm not crazy.

Knowing where the fish are and good presentation is 95% of the game/battle. Fly selection and fish mood are about 4 more % and the final percent is random.

i don't stare at fish .......they don't like it and its not nice to stare anyways ......

i like to look for shadows that look out of place. if the sun is out you can tell if the shadow is from a rock or tree limb. also look for dark spots in off colored water it just takes time up here for steelhead for some reson i can relly pick them out in off colored water. sometimes you cast at sticks but if you make some cast and nothing happens move closer then you will know for sure. you wont see all fish i have spooked steelhead that i about steped on because they were hugging a rock right on the bottom and they blend in relly well with the bottom when the streams are gin clear and the sun is at the right angle.

I subscribe to this podcast and they just did a show with Landon Mayer on sight fishing:
http://www.askaboutflyfishing.com/archive.cfm
I learned quite a bit from this and recommend the other shows Roger has done. I'm curious what percent of the time you all sight fish as opposed to blind casting to suspected lies in and around PA? Unless there is a hatch on I spend a lot of time blind casting (and getting skunked :oops: )
Mike.

Jim "I spot 'em, I got 'em" Teeney does a good job describing how to spot fish in the "Catching More Steelhead" video here...
http://www.jimteeny.com/indexMain.html?content=http%3A//www.jimteeny.com/jtCatalog/catalog/video.html

I can loan it to you if we meet up fishing again (and you can get your sunglass case back, too!)

Thanks for the tips and suggestions everyone; I plan to use them all.

David wrote:
Jim "I spot 'em, I got 'em" Teeney does a good job describing how to spot fish in the "Catching More Steelhead" video here...
http://www.jimteeny.com/indexMain.html?content=http%3A//www.jimteeny.com/jtCatalog/catalog/video.html

I can loan it to you if we meet up fishing again (and you can get your sunglass case back, too!)

David, I'd like to take you up on the offer for the Video. With the spring hatches season approaching, it will be good to spend some time on the water with you guys again :).

Usally I find more fish on sunnydays. There shadows are easier to see on the creek bed than the fish them selves . It's like being able to spot deer in a thicket some people have the abilty some people learn how to do it. Some never develop it.

Good sunglasse are the key ,imo. I carry 2 pair one grey for bright sun and amber for cloudy days.

And a hat to help keep errant light out.

ALWAYS wear a cap. Try to spot riseforms ahead of you and as you work your way up plan. Sometimes you see a fin or a tail before you see the whole fish , sometimes the water gets what they call "nervous" keep your eye peeled for anything different , you'll see 'em and sight fishing is one of the most exciting things there is. The plan , the stalk , and the execution , it's awesome.

If I may pass on a few tips from the ever wise Lefty Kreh. I think these tips are universal whether you are on tail water or a salt water flat. Unless you have a brilliant day with clear water and plenty of sun, you most likely are not going to see the "whole fish". Look for inconsistencies in the water. Shadows that move, nervous water, etc... You may just see a tail, or the flash of a side as a fish rises to feed. Don't stare at one spot. Continuously scan the water. I am far from an expert, but the more I practice, the better I feel I get.

The other tip I got was from a guide. If you are approaching a stream where you have a view from above, stop and really take a look down. You will see fish from above that are much harder to spot from stream level. As you come down to the water, pay attention to how the view changes and watch those same fish and how they behave and how they give themselves away. This very same principle is why a guide poling on the back of a skiff can see fish that the fisherman on the bow has problems spotting. It is amazing how much even 5 or 10 feet of elevation can make a difference.

I used to be in such a hurry to get to the stream and wet my line that I neglected to really pay attention and be a good hunter. Hope that helps.

Pittflyguy...........the reason bridges were invented was for fly fishers to look off of.

I'm with Osprey and a cap. I'll add to that: it should have a dark color underside of the bill. I light underside reflects glare into one's eyes.

And go slow when approaching likely looking water. Go even slower in shallow water such a tails of pools.

Trout will look different depending on the day and the stream, especially wild trout as they tend to blend in very well with the stream’s bottom. The key is to look at small areas of stream where you think trout should be holding but don’t focus on anything in particular. What you are doing is scanning an area looking for an abnormality. If you spot something that just doesn’t look right (a spot that appears darker/lighter than everything else, or a flash, or movement, etc.) then focus on that spot and watch for movement. Even if the trout isn’t swimming or moving around its gills will be pulsing and the tail has to be moving to maintain position so those are things to look for. And if it is feeding you may see a white spot appears when it opens its mouth.

Back