Splake Trout

J

JasonC

Just a hypothetical but if introduced to native brook trout waters, would they compete with and push out the brook trout or could they live in harmony? Just a cool looking fish and was wondering is all.

JasonC wrote:
Just a hypothetical but if introduced to native brook trout waters, would they compete with and push out the brook trout or could they live in harmony? Just a cool looking fish and was wondering is all.

I am not aware of splake being stocked in PA, although this is possible. This hybrid sometimes occurs in nature and is a fertile fish capable of spawning. I am not aware of splake becoming a problem with interbreeding with ST.

Hybrids are supposedly more aggressive, so in theory, they would outcompete the brookies. Hybrids are also sterile, or have poor reproductive success, so nature would fix itself in a generation.

Splake can reproduce but they are only really found in lakes and ponds. They dont reproduce often I think there are only a few places where they do and they all are probably in Canada or Maine.

I've never heard of splake being stocked in streams but I'm sure at some point they have been.

New York had a Splake stocking program back in the 60's., if memory serves me correctly? I caught one in Lime Lake Outlet as I recall. that's all I got. I checked:and:
https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/94574.html

GG :-o

JasonC wrote:

Though superficially different Trout species can exist along side one another, as is evidenced by the many forested freestone streams in PA that have both Brooks and Browns, it's important to remember that only Brookies were native to PA waters. The introduction of Brown Trout, and to a lesser degree, Rainbow Trout, into PA waters has greatly reduced the Brookie's native range. So from that perspective, different Trout species don't really live in harmony with one another. One always has a competitive advantage over another in some regard, whether it be water temperature tolerance, pollution tolerance, acidic water tolerance, etc. Introducing a non-native species has a negative impact on the native species of Trout in that given watershed, period. Though they may be cool looking, we should not introduce Splakes, or any other Trout/Char variant in PA that's not already here. An argument can also be made that we could probably stand to be more judicious about where we stock Browns and Bows currently as is.

Brookies aren't always the victims either. In the Rockies, they are the introduced invaders, who along with Browns and Bows, are displacing native Cutts into the extreme headwaters of their previous native ranges.

Edit: In the specific case of Brookies and Splakes...In the places where Brookies are common in PA (small, forested, mountain freestoners for the most part), my guess is they would have significant adaptive advantages over Splakes for that environment. So, no, I don't think they'd co-exist. I think the Brookies would prevent them from taking hold. Even so, I wouldn't risk stocking them.

Gg that's before my time but looking at the map it looks like theres a grey dot near lime lake outlet. That's surprising to me they were stocked there.

Today lime lake outlet is very brushy and hard to fish. I want to say it's a wild fishery but they may stock a few browns. Like a lot of streams in that area its filled with stunted wild rainbows that rarely get over 12 inches. There are some decent browns but I seem to catch 10 rainbows for every brown. In that part of ny, there are lots of wild rainbows but anything over 12 inches is a big fish, they are similar in size to brook trout.

Moon, well it hasn't changed per your description as "brushy". It was like that when I fished it back in the 60's. I remember that fish because it was "different" than any trout I'd seen. My friend "Moose" lived in Gowanda and sent me there as it had been stocked with Splakes. It went home and into the frying pan. It was early April and I was cold from the snow on the crick bank. I'll have to ask "Moose" if he remembers that. GG

Back