Spinners

Hackled, prefer snow shoe wing when ever possible over poly..Lately I've had a lot of success with paraspinners, split tail fibblets..Some times I'll use 3-4 for each tail with glue..

As for Penns and spinners, I actualy believe those trout in Penns got it so good if they're not fresh their not eaten..Some times I'll twitch my spinner presentaions a little bit.

Really fussy fish refuse conventionally tied spinners in my experience. I'm talking about patterns with poly or antron wings. They're just not realistic enough.
I tie some spinners with a materiel called web wing, that is easily cut into shape to form a very nice looking wing. It even works well for those tough mothers on the Delaware river

I ran into some light sulphur spinners with peachy orange egg sacks at the jam last year.

This is what I came up with. I don't know anything about photography, so they are really washed out. Any tips?

Attachments

• SDC10960.JPG
    SDC10960.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 2
  • SDC10969.JPG
    SDC10969.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 4
i use poly wing and never had a problem , i usually fish them in the riffles where the spinners fall and its usually almost black out. all fish are different as all creeks are too

I don't know anything about photography, so they are really washed out. Any tips?

Cut the flash and sometimes that will put the camera into macro mode. Sometimes that helps.

Festus,

That's what I did. It can't seem to focus unless the lighting is good, and turning my desk lamps on washes everything out.

How do you set your lighting up?

I get the same thing when I use a black background. I don't use direct lighting and I use no flash. Here's my setup. The light is actually over the camera as opposed to over the fly and I'm using a Canon DC50 camera. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• lighting.jpg
    lighting.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 2
Thanks.

I never really photographed light colored flies before. I'll try a setup like yours.

That's my exact set-up as well.

I use a blue folder proped on the desk.
Tripod by the fly.
And the lightbehind the camera.

That's my exact set-up as well.

I bet you even have a list setup like I do just so you make note of every wise crack some of these varmints makes.:)

This is a egg laying sulphur spinner.

The egg is made from hot glue and is impounded on the hook.

I made the egg by attaching mono in the vise and while applying the glue, spinning the mono. Followed up by a quick dunk in cool water to harden.

Attachments

• DSC09309.JPG
    DSC09309.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 4
Wow. That's different. Very nice.

Any issues with floating from the glue? I know guys make glue eggs, and those are made to sink.

Ry,
To be honest with you, I've never fished one. I just tied it 5 minutes before I posted it. I hope the fly is bouyant enough to hold it up.
And if it sinks, it'll propbably still catch a ton of fish as a drowned spinner.

It has been a concept of mine since last year. I oringinally was going to tie it as a just a sulphur egg pattern, then though about leaving the egg attached to the mono and let it dangle just below the fly, but it's slippery and the glue just slid off the mono.

I think I have thought of a way to keep the glue on the mono: tie a slip knot in the mono where I attach the glue.

I have tied egg patterns for steel and clustered them together, same technique.

One of my favorite ways to tie a spinner is to simply tie a parachute pattern with a hi-vis poly yarn post. I trim the hackle fore and aft and leave the hackle on both sides. I trim the post short, but leave enough for easy visibility. I usually use grizzly or light dun hackle for the wings and make the hackle a little oversized.

Festus, loved that sunken spinner. I added some krystal on the tail too for some flash on the clear tails. My attempt at doing a dubbing loop on a size 18 didn't come out to well so i just added a simple loop of it behind the hackle.

Here's my size 18 rusty spinner sunken:
sunken_spinner.jpg

MKern wrote:
Ry,
To be honest with you, I've never fished one. I just tied it 5 minutes before I posted it. I hope the fly is bouyant enough to hold it up.
And if it sinks, it'll propbably still catch a ton of fish as a drowned spinner.

It has been a concept of mine since last year. I oringinally was going to tie it as a just a sulphur egg pattern, then though about leaving the egg attached to the mono and let it dangle just below the fly, but it's slippery and the glue just slid off the mono.

I think I have thought of a way to keep the glue on the mono: tie a slip knot in the mono where I attach the glue.

I have tied egg patterns for steel and clustered them together, same technique.

If it does sink, I wonder if while spinning the glue on you can some how incorporate an air bubble in it. That might help... let us know how it works!

Back