Spinners

SkyBlue

SkyBlue

How do you tie up your spinners?

Here is my Rusty Spinner CDC. Quill body, some dubbing and CDC, very simple.

Attachments

• Photos 094 compressed.jpg
    Photos 094 compressed.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 10
tie the same way but with no cdc & white poly yarn for the wings , makes em float good and easy to see , nice sillhouette too , good tie

99% of the spinners that I fish are clipped hackle spinners. A few years ago, I started messing with biot bodies and polywing again. Seemed to work out pretty well although I think for the rusty spinner nothing beats a fur body and dun hackle with a few turns of medium ginger thrown in then clipped top and bottom. Since I started using the ginger with the dun, hookups increased dramatically.

Hook: I prefer 94831 2x long
Thread: Pale Yellow
Tail: Lt Ginger
Body: Turkey Tail Biot
Wing: Cream FlyTyerDungeon Z-lon.
Thorax: Cream with a tinge of amber

Attachments

• biot1a.jpg
    biot1a.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 4
nice tie festus , thats what they look like with the poly wing , very simple easy tie , i do some semi spent with the hackle clipped in a v shape on the botton and top , didn't know about mixing the two hackles . thanks bud

Nice tie. Goose or Turkey Biot?

nice tie festus , thats what they look like with the poly wing , very simple easy tie , i do some semi spent with the hackle clipped in a v shape on the botton and top , didn't know about mixing the two hackles . thanks bud

Thanks much. When you use that ginger, you get a great rusty cast on the wing profile when looking up through the water and to the sky. The trout seem to enjoy it.

Nice tie. Goose or Turkey Biot?

Thanks George. I went back and put the recipe into that spinner post. The biot is from the tail of a turkey. It's been dyed pale yellowish tan in a weak Rit dye bath. If you have friends that hunt turkeys and they don't want the tails, grab 'em! There's alot of fantastic biots on those tail feathers. They are decently strong, and they take a dye well.

After meeting a fellow boardmember last night for dinner and talking fishing I was thinking of my rusty spinners. Last year while fishing the sulphur spinnerfall I caught a few fish and like everyone else, had issues with floatability. It seems that the fish aren't too picky when it comes to spinners so I was thinking of adding some foam to a rusty to keep it's floatability instead of fighting with using floatant and/or changing flies in the middle of a spinnerfall. Anyone have any tips in this reguard?

I haven't found that they prefer them floating ...is just easier to see the take when the sun goes down.

I like to use traditionally hackled flies, very slightly clipped on the bottom. I bought some egg-sac sulphurs at spruce creek outfitters like that, and they worked well.

I like to use traditionally hackled flies, very slightly clipped on the bottom. I bought some egg-sac sulphurs at spruce creek outfitters like that, and they worked well.

Sometimes the trout key on Sulphur spinners that still have an egg sac. Well worth it to have a few on hand.

Attachments

• eggsacspinner.jpg
    eggsacspinner.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 5
I'm glad you came back Festus... you have contributed a lot of quality fly fishing advice in your return from retirement. I especially enjoy your tying skills.

Thanks Ry. Since sunken spinners was brought up here, a heads up on fishing sunken spinners is in order. There are times that the trout don't appear to be showing any interest in a spinner fall. When that happens, I go to a wet fly that imitates a sunken spinner. I use a biot or quill body to match the spinner, partridge hackle and tail, and pearl Krystal flash behind the hackle. The Krystal flash gives the illusion of a spinner with clear wings struggling beneath the surface. For the thorax, blend fur to match natural and throw in some chopped Krystal Flash into the mix. You'll have to either use a dubbing loop for the throx, or lots of dubbing wax on your finger to bind the KF to the thread before winding. I generally dub the thread, then form a loop and twist it. There's alot of times when I'll fish a wet fly even to surface feeders.

Hook: 3906 or 3906B
Tail: Partridge
Body: Turkey Biot To Match Natural
Wing: A few strands of pearl Krystal Flash
Thorax: Blended fur with chopped Krystal Flash
Hackle: Gray Partridge or patridge dyed dark gray

Attachments

• DrownedSpinner.jpg
    DrownedSpinner.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 6
Has anyone ever fished sunken spinners for green drakes?

Maybe THAT is what those damn penns creek trout are eating.

Has anyone ever fished sunken spinners for green drakes?Maybe THAT is what those damn penns creek trout are eating.

Tent catterpillars. That's what they are eating.

I thought that they didn't like the taste of them and just let them drown ?
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&resnum=0&q=Tent+caterpillars&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=M5F9S8qeGpTK8QbBypjPBQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=5&ved=0CCIQsAQwBA

I've seen some stomaches stretched like sausage from eating them things. I can't say that they like the taste of them or not, but TC are a precious resource that hatch about the same time as GDs and are available all day and all night long.

I like that wet fly festus. I tie similar flies in rusty, bwo, HE and PT. Usually with a little hares ice for the thorax. I can fish em as a nymph, emerger or dry without changing rigs and have found very few instances where a trout would take a traditional dry over a soft haclke loaded with flotant or fished behind a dry.

Usually with a little hares ice for the thorax.

Darned good thing you said that Bam. I forgot to add that component to the recipe. I use HE to sometimes, but usually use a blend of cream and amber with some chopped up Krystal Flash mixed in it. I like the Ice idea, and will give that a try to:) Thanks

Back