Spinner Wings

This is really so much easier then anything I've tried before...

I ty mine the same way troutbert does, using either dun hackle or grizzley

Tom,
Is that no fray web wing?

jrcll wrote:
I ty mine the same way troutbert does, using either dun hackle or grizzley

We are the enlightened few! :)

I can't remember where I first saw this style of spinner or who originated it.

But I'm surprised how few people tie them this way. I don't think I've ever seen them this way in fly shops or in catalogs.

They are easy to tie.
Use natural materials.
They look NICE. (Synthetic wings don't.)
And they really catch trout.

I tie my coffin fly spinners like that...but I like the cut wings for the small stuff..here's the coffin fly I tie....did really well with it at the Jam.

tomgamber wrote:
I tie my coffin fly spinners like that...but I like the cut wings for the small stuff..here's the coffin fly I tie....did really well with it at the Jam.

That looks very much like how I tie the coffin fly spinners. They do work well.

For sulphur spinners I use pale dun.

I use PolyPro Yarn and its the best.

A guide that i had in montana showed me how to ty them that way

Wow, I like the bent fly. I tie my spinners with antron.

The link should bring you to a photo with two flies on the left. If it brings you to a photo of the cylinder heads on my scooter, oops.

They are tied with biot body/tail using a light wire scud hook. The two on the right are on a normal dry fly hook with microfibbet tails.

The center fly is one that has caught 10-15 large trout, all over 15". The wings are a mess, but the scud hook is strong and the biot tail is very durable.

The bent fly is attractive because we have all probably made a similar observation. Spinners are laying on the surface in a myriad of positions, not normally in the splayed wing, splayed tail position that looks so beautiful when they are hovering above us.

Think it is ok to just "bend the hook"?

At any rate, I like the antron wings. They get beat up, out of position, but the fly still fishes really well.

Spinner Photo

Good looking flies!

Back