spin fishing pine creek in july?

kenbo5733

kenbo5733

I know I would love to be fly fishing pine creek but im going in july and the only fly rod I have is a 6'6" 3wt which I don't think is the best bet on pine creek of course im bringing it anyway but for brook trout hopefully. im only staying a couple days and I don't wanna have to buy a whole new set up for a couple days but I do have numerous spinning gear and im wondering what I could use with that because I wanna catch some of those big pine creek trout

kenbo5733,

If you mean the Pine Creek in Tioga/Lycoming county, the vast majority of the creek will typically be too warm for trout in July. Some fish my still be holding on at the mouths of tribs.

You could target warm/cool water species like smallmouth bass, walleye, rock bass and other sunfish with your spinning rod.

On the other hand this maybe a cool enough year to keep trout into July. But I would not bet on it, I saw temps of 68 above Waterous and 66 above Galeton on 6/1 (a hot day).

I havn't seen pine above 62 deg. yet this year and I'm here every day....trout will be around above the canyon... bring that short rod up here and fish pine it can be done...

There are plenty of warm water fish in that creek that are fun to fish for with spinning gear.

Back