Spider Caddis

lv2nymph

lv2nymph

Tied for the October Caddis. Daiichi 1167 #12
471fa614421e9326afa92c8fd927d016_zps38cb5a6b.jpg

ad6bdfd4892e57bde29f79b07fb1de58_zps3b1e3037.jpg

Tie it in an 18 and it will work anywhere there are crane flies.

Is the deer hair and cdc tied in a dubbing loop? Explanation please.

Shane, the deer hair is stacked on top of the hook first, then cut off in a short post. Dubb thorax, Cdc in dubbing loop is then wrapped around under wing and in front of the post.

Gotcha, cool.

Love the look of that. Going on the list of patterns that I need to emulate poorly.

Thank you Barry, I'll bet they turn out fine.

Real nice looking tie Jack. I don't think I ever saw those materials tied in that style before. I really like it.

Is the body a natural quill, or the synthetic? It looks awesome

Chaz, thank you for that keen observation. I believe you are correct good sir. Thank you very much John & Steve. It is a natural quill, I get them stripped and dyed from polish quills.

Really good stuff. Something a little different that would probably work to imitate a lot of different insects with a change in sizes and colors. (It may even replace the Chaz Special Cranefly (CSC) pattern I carry in my box)

Looks really good Jack.

GenCon

Looks like a hackle less klinkhammer.
Very nice Jack!
Change the colors to olive and gray, and you'd have a BWO emerger for spring time.

BTW - in spite of his handle on this site - lv2nymph ties excellent dry flies too

I've been away for awhile and come back to find Jack tying dry flies? This is obviously the work of DFG.

Well, it's kind of emerger looking so still half nymph ;)
Nice fly Jack!
Mike.

Could be a new class of fly, the drowning stripper.

Looks like more than myself has seen the usefulness of this pattern! It's the creation of Swedish tier Micke Sash- up Anderson. I had originally saw it tied by another Swedish tier Anders Skau, after talking with Anders about it I knew it was one of those ties that would imitate more than a few things. I'm getting a box to fill with several different sizes and colors of it as many of you have suggested. Went to the tying symposium yesterday which was a good time, saw lots of good tiers, and of course picked up a thing or two. I-80 was closed at Loch Haven surprise! Three detours from three other accidents later I finnaly got home, it turned into a much, much longer day than planned. Thanks a lot Bill, that's Daiichi's version of the Klink hook, turkey Bill did indeed light the fire to fish on top more much more, carrying around a dryfly rod these days. :) Afish, ya think Chaz will be ok with that? Thanks for all of your comments.
Mike that's right it is half nymph after all... :roll:

lv2nymph wrote:
Looks like more than myself has seen the usefulness of this pattern! It's the creation of Swedish tier Micke Sash- up Anderson. I had originally saw it tied by another Swedish tier Anders Skau, after talking with Anders about it I knew it was one of those ties that would imitate more than a few things. I'm getting a box to fill with several different sizes and colors of it as many of you have suggested. Went to the tying symposium yesterday which was a good time, saw lots of good tiers, and of course picked up a thing or two. I-80 was closed at Loch Haven surprise! Three detours from three other accidents later I finnaly got home, it turned into a much, much longer day than planned. Thanks a lot Bill, that's Daiichi's version of the Klink hook, turkey Bill did indeed light the fire to fish on top more much more, carrying around a dryfly rod these days. :) Afish, ya think Chaz will be ok with that? Thanks for all of your comments.
Mike that's right it is half nymph after all... :roll:

Chaz actually conceded:

Chaz wrote:
Tie it in an 18 and it will work anywhere there are crane flies.

Tied one in #18, I can't wait to try these.
cbda104493b49a3eab1d7b6f16d8dfa8_zps047fa94d.jpg

I left a few fibers long for the legs.

18 olives
653af1f090090331d5215263baeb44bf_zps9383a49b.jpg

The wing's more of a light dun that it appears, I guess there's only so much you can do with a phone camera and a tying light. :-D

Back