Spent an hour on the Brodhead Creek

that's the club property, fished it with Ernie Schreibert, Bill White (baseball fame) and a few others over the years. great times there. I learned a lot from them.

sandfly wrote:
that's the club property, fished it with Ernie Schreibert, Bill White (baseball fame) and a few others over the years. great times there. I learned a lot from them.
Isn't that the stream where Ernie claimed to have caught 50 plus fish and a secret observer said he caught none?
Killed his rep-

Brodheads is and has always been on of my favorite streams to fish.
After the first few weeks of the season it gets very little pressure.
Loaded with stocked fish, tons of holdovers and some wild fish.
Also still has some pretty fair hatches.

GenCon

Millsertime wrote:
Chaz wrote:
Know what you're talking about.

Chaz…The OP attached a picture of a rainbow trout in a section of the creek that received a fall stocking (rainbows only) less than a month prior to him catching it. Based on the size of the trout and fresh stocking, I’d say with almost 100% certainty that this fish is not wild. All of the fingerling rainbows I’ve caught near Analomink or in the Lower Gorge have been 10” or less and displayed wild characteristics, nothing like the OP’s photo. I live 5 blocks from the Brodhead and fish it regularly year round. I invite you to drive north and fish it with me. Maybe you can learn more about this historical stream.
I was merely pointing out the Broached has wild trout to the mouth. But I will take you up on your offer.

sandfly wrote:
Isn't that the stream where Ernie claimed to have caught 50 plus fish and a secret observer said he caught none?
Killed his rep-[/quote]

Pete - I don't know about this 50+ episode, but the one time I ffished with Ernie, I can attest to his skill at trouting. We were on the Upper Beaverkill on a friend's farm stretch. It was a gorgeous late spring afternoon with multiple caddis, mays and stones (Isoperla) hatching. The stream was filled with browns to 13-15" and small brookies. I had quite the rep in that area for raking in trouts and I went through several pools, with a catch rate of 8-10 trouts an hour.

Every likely spot had trouts very agreeably snaffling up various of my caddises and mays along with the copious naturals. Then I came to a good size midstream boulder that spelled big trout. Curiously, the surface activity there and within 10-15 feet was very quiet. I went through a half dozen patterns, all of which had been working, got absolutely no reaction and after a half hour of diligent presentations, moved onward. The catching picked right back up.

Later, at the nice BBQ stye dinner at the Beaverkill Valley Inn, our host called over to me and asked wasn't I ffishing the *forgot the name of* the stretch. I said I was and hoped I didn't spoil the water for anybody behind me. That's when Ernie came up and said he had raised and landed a 22" brown on a caddis. The host nodded - apparently the biggie was well known to him. Ernie had caught it at the 'fishless' boulder, and this was after I had walked through that spot.

Chaz, i will shoot my opinion about the Brodhead at ya. I've been fishing that stream since i started fly fishing 7 years ago. You honestly can expect to catch wild fish throughout the entire stream, just more in some sections than others. Down in the gorge mostly all wild, then once you hit the parks along 191 you can expect mostly stockies, holdovers and a wild fish here and there. But upstream of most of the parks is where you can catch the most wild fish. Where the paradise dumps in and upstream as well. All in all it is a great stream to fish in prime months. Some years the hatches are better than others. I fished it 4 years ago and remember flipping rocks in mid-may and not finding even a caddis in the parks along 191. But that night turned into an awesome hatch of hendricksons somehow. Odd. Hopefully this winter is kind to us and the hatches next year will be good.- Kev

Back