Speedwell Forge Lk...tiger Muskies and chain pickerel

M

Mike

We now know that at least one tiger muskellunge that was stocked last year from some limited excess production survived and grew to what appeared roughly to be 18 inches. It was caught by an angler a few weeks ago.

In addition, two or three chain pickerel have been reported, with at least one having been seen by the WCO. They were not stocked by the PFBC and there is no record of them in the Hammer Ck drainage basin, nor did numerous fish pop surveys of Speedwell over the decades ever produce a CP. If the aquatic plants are not lost to turbidity and replaced by Cyanobacteria,,formerly known as blue green algae, and if the lake is not too warm, the CP population may build. Those are some big if's, however, and if the excellent bass population develops there again, I am sure they will have an impact on CP abundance.

I'm not familiar with Speedwell Forge but I think Chain Picks are an underated species. I guess the problem is that they are often little but they can certainly be a respectable gamefish when they get over 20 inches or so.

jifigz wrote:
I'm not familiar with Speedwell Forge but I think Chain Picks are an underated species. I guess the problem is that they are often little but they can certainly be a respectable gamefish when they get over 20 inches or so.

Ditto that.

I loved fishing for them in the old cranberry bogs in Southern NJ. So easy to catch. And that is all I caught. They had taken over. Throw anything shiny in there and they'd be all over it. I took one or two home that were big enough to fillet, and they weren't bad at all. Just lots of bones.

Although the biggest one I caught was only about 16 inches (probably because they had overpopulated), they do get much bigger than that.

Chain pickerel meat, just like Pike, is delectable. Now filleting them is a little trickier than some other fish, but the flesh is superb. Or, you can leave the "Y" bones in and pickle them. Pickled pickerel.

jifigz wrote:
Chain pickerel meat, just like Pike, is delectable. Now filleting them is a little trickier than some other fish, but the flesh is superb. Or, you can leave the "Y" bones in and pickle them. Pickled pickerel.

I removed the Y bones. There is a little bit of waste, but there was no shortage of fish where I was catching them.

Basically you end up with two strips of flesh from each side. I agree it was tricky at first, but second one was much easier. ;-)

jifigz wrote:

Dear jifigz,

You can also grill pickerel wrapped in foil with stuff like tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, seasoning, a pat of butter, and a little water or beer. Cook it on low temperature, 350 F or lower, for 20 minutes or so and the "Y" bones get steamed until they are soft enough that you can easily eat them and not even know that they are there.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I'm well aware of the culinary attributes of the esox. I'll eat a pickerel any day. I've removed the "Y" bones and left them in, either way is fine.

Back