South jersey on the fly

C

chadm

Got out in cape May harbor for a few hours this weekend no luck. Does anyone have much luck in harbors chasing fish, if so what should I be looking for?

I've never fished Cape May harbor but, generally, harbors are often not considered the best places to fish due to high boat activity. There are exceptions, mainly in Florida (that I can think of).

It might depend on the nature of the harbor - how enclosed it is, how much boat traffic is dispersed, etc. Most harbor areas have deeper water and this can make FFing more difficult for a host of reasons.

Back bay areas on the NJ shore can fish very well and April/May are prime time for a variety of species. If it's possible to do so, however, I'd try to get away from harbors, marinas, etc and find shallow grass flats. This will mostly require a boat.

Try the headwaters to the Maurice River for Stripers. I haven't any experience with stripers but I've hear they're there this time of the year chasing herring and other fish that I wouldn't know if I saw them. Point is many of my So. Jersey customers over the years have mentioned seeing this phenomena......bigger fish in smaller shallow streams that are hungry. I've been dying to try it but no time.

I haven't seen any reports of the big blues showing up. Folks are catching stripers with bait. The current water ocean water temp 54, just getting in the range to start fly fishing. If you do have a boat, you're probably better off checking out the back bays and creeks behind the Wildwoods.

Jerry I'm assuming you have caught bluefish on the fly? If so that is comforting as I love blue fishing. Sold the boat and it will be a while until I get another big enough for the big bays. What type of fly would you use?

I got a kayak I’ll have to bring it over there and get into those back waters if I’m able to make it back down there this spring.

look for mud flats they warm up first and attract bait and predators.

Looks like I am going to get out this weekend again wish me luck got some mud flats and creeks picked out to kayak too.

Hit the sod banks with a white and chartruese clouser... small blues, stripers and flounder should be on the menu....

Back