South Florida Motivation

3wt7X

3wt7X

For all the saltwater Fly Fishing fans out there, here is write up on a recent South Florida trip. As some may have seen from past years, I typically book a false albacore trip when visiting family in the Boca Raton area. This year was no different. I would encourage anyone who is travelling through that area to consider one of these trips. They are exhilarating and fast paced. The false albacore, "bonito" as they refer to them in South Florida are a plentiful and aggressive predator. They can put you into your backing in seconds, and have all the fighting attributes of tuna packed into a smaller package. On top of that, they are striking looking fish, with neon blue and green coloration that changes as they get lit up in the live chum.

This year, our trip was cut short by a late morning severe thunderstorm, which stuck around the remainder of the day. Despite the impending storm, our Captain Quinten Hall of TKF Charters put us on the fish immediately in the morning, and he worked his rear end off as we pulled fish after fish for the better part of 3 1/2 drifts. Between my cousin and I, we brought about 18 fish to boat in a little over 2 hours of actual fishing time. Most of that time was spent reeling them, as they are suborn and athletic fighters. There are several reputable guides in the area down there, and they seem to have a shared comradery regarding these undervalued gamefish. The trips are reasonably priced as well.

I hope this piece with provide some motivation to explore this species a bit more in South Florida. My only advise is to get plenty of rest the night before and hydrate, as you will get a workout. I should add a suggestion not to fall out of the boat, as it does not take long for the 500 plus pound sharks to start making snacks of you catch. It was pretty amazing watching an 8 lb bonito clear the water 4 feet to avoid being eaten by a fired up giant dusky shark 20 yards off the stern of the fishing boat. Makes you feel a little small in the world.

Attachments

• Fl1.jpg
    Fl1.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 14
  • Fl2.jpg
    Fl2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Fl3.jpg
    Fl3.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Fl4.jpg
    Fl4.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 2
Awesome! I love me some Fat Alberts!

I fished for them off Harker's in the Fall when I was living in South Carolina. Your description of them and the fight is great. We would typically get a few 150 yard runs at 35 mph out of a fish, then many circles around our boat. What fun!

We only had one morning with the wind out of the east and the tide going out when we caught a few dozen Albacore. It was magic. There must have been a hundred boats with 2 anglers in each, bow and stern. It seemed like everyone was hooked up for hours! Chartreuse over white clousers got so automatic that I put a gurgler on just for the hell of it and caught 2 on top!

Thanks for the great write up, photos and trip down memory lane.

I used to live in Boca Raton but I was a kid. 7th and 8th grade, to be exact. I didn't have the opportunities to do those things. I did get a chance to fish for red drum, snook, and speckled trout while down there but I'll admit most of my fishing was catching largemouth bass, gar, Oscar, etc. That was certainly good enough for me.

Great to see!

This trip to FL for albies has become a nice tradition.

Cleaned properly they are as good as any tuna on the grill. GG

It's beautiful on the gulf during the Bonito run. I fished for them with Cubes, Chris Daughtry, Jeff Probst, and super chef Bobby Flay. They are what you call a trophy fish, so yea they are big.

That sounds like a heck of a crew for a trip Moon. Is Jeff Probst cool?

I'll be in Naples and Miami from 7/13 through 7/22.will probably give it a try.Thanks for the post
Tom

It's beautiful on the gulf during the Bonito run. I fished for them with Cubes, Chris Daughtry, Jeff Probst, and super chef Bobby Flay. They are what you call a trophy fish, so yea they are big.

That could be the greatest name drop I have see on here in 20 years!

AFISHN,

Glad to provide some motivation. I hope you make it out there. There are no guarantees in fishing, but you really cannot go wrong with summertime bonito over the reefs in south Florida. Hold on tight and post a report if you make it out.

I did make the fishing trip ...... keeping my daughter and grand kids happy near Miami and elderly sister and brother in Naples just chewed up the whole trip.However,your intel was noted for a future trip

Back