Some new Ties

mcwillja

mcwillja

I have been playing around at the vise and came up with 2 patterns I think may fish pretty well. I am calling these sulphur and bwo breakout nymph/emergers. For the breakout (wings) I used closed cell yellow foam for the sulphur and grey poly for the olive. What do you all think? I also am using black Krystal flash for the wing case and legs.

Attachments

• IMGP0228_resize.JPG
    IMGP0228_resize.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMGP0229_resize.JPG
    IMGP0229_resize.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMGP0232_resize.JPG
    IMGP0232_resize.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMGP0236_resize.JPG
    IMGP0236_resize.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMGP0231_resize.JPG
    IMGP0231_resize.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 3
Looks good. I like to incorporate pearl sheeting into the bubble backs on stuff like that too. Maybe some ice dub in the thorax could get the same effect. From what I have seen in videos, emergers get pretty shiny once the bubbles start forming during emergence.

I know at least one spot where you're going to be fishing them, and I have no doubt they'll work well.

Thanks Jay,

I just started using Krystal flash as wing cases and legs and I think it looks pretty good. I wish I would have been using it sooner. I have been keeping it under wraps using it almost exclusively on my beetles and ant patterns.

Will be interesting to see where it rides in the water column.

I'm hoping the foam gives it some good action in the water column. I may fish this as a dropper in a tandem nymph rig or in a dry/dropper scenario.

mcwillja
with the foam tied as tightly as you have done it, the "closed cell" properties are gone. it will fish very similar (if not identical) to the emerger tied with polyyarn as the wing case.
the polyyarn has floatation properties as well, but both use trapped air to do so.
it will drift higher in the water column if you abandon the bead (or use plastic) and don't tie the wing case so "tight".
looks like it will work very well as tied, but if you want a fly to drift just under the film instead of in it, i woul drop the bead altogether.
hope this helps

Good stuff there Gutcutter. Thanks for the input.

Back