some micro nymphs

D

dubthethorax

beatis.jpg

beatis2.jpg

Just posted the tutorial video on my site in case anyone is interested. Please dont make fun of my weak tying skills :)
www.dubthethorax.com

I like them a lot. Obviously you like the orange beads, but what do you think about them? Too flashy sometimes or do you think it helps?

they are good for certain situations, just like anything else. I had a 100 pack of them so I figured why not try them out? I wanted a pattern to work during the thaw in high fast water that would be an attractor and also somewhat represent some natural food sources.

I also tied some with copper and brass tung beads as well. I just posted the orange ones.

I'll typically use flies like this as an anchor along with a smaller midge, stonefly, CJ, etc.

But to answer your question, I have definitely caught fish on hot bead head flies.

what size hook, 18? 20?

The blog says 18. I'd imagine them being good on a hopper dropper.

Did anyone see yesterday's Fly Fish TV? I want to know what those blue dropper flies were and how to tie them. They looked sexy.

Size 18 Scud hook
2mm Rip Lips tungsten bead - hot orange
14/0 tan thread
UTC ultra wire - chartreuse, small
Mallard flank died wood duck
Grey/Dun hare dubbing

Just watched it, off of my DVR. Saw the sexy blue sparkly things as well.

I'll have to watch it again. I noticed them talking about it but did not closely at the fly.

I tell ya, that show teaches you a lot about streamer fishing, but the main thing I pick up is streamer fishing is ugly no matter how good you are at it. LOL.

Nice looking nymphs.

Yeah, apparently Kelly's thing is streamer fishing, but I agree with you jdaddy.

jdaddy wrote:
I tell ya, that show teaches you a lot about streamer fishing, but the main thing I pick up is streamer fishing is ugly no matter how good you are at it. LOL.

You mean casting-wise? Its because everyone loves massive leaded up monstrosities on the end of their line.

Dainty little "classic" streamers don't cast like that at all. Featherwings and simple bucktails, tied on 4x hooks without eyes, beads, and lead can be hucked as well as anything else.

gfen wrote:
jdaddy wrote:

You mean casting-wise? Its because everyone loves massive leaded up monstrosities on the end of their line.

Dainty little "classic" streamers don't cast like that at all. Featherwings and simple bucktails, tied on 4x hooks without eyes, beads, and lead can be hucked as well as anything else.

Ya. Streamers. Real ones. I don't do dainty when it comes to streamers. But ya, overall it generally looks like a cross between flailing and flogging, especially the the big and fast waters that they drift out West. You have like 3 seconds to present, lift, chuck, repeat.

Back