Some fall colors on the first day of fall

Nymph-wristed

First good fish in a couple months! It is definitely turning fall in NEPA. I lost a similarly sized fish after a decently-long batter on a streamer. Small hook just pulled eventually. This was a nymph fish.

Two shots of same buck. All head! Will be quite fatter in a month, I hope, although I am thinking he's already all over the gene pool at this point in his career.

1727098083660.png

1727098124056.png

The observations that the fish is on his way out are the most likely explanations for the big head vs thinner body unless that fish spent part of the summer in less than desirable water temps. Any chance that the stream you fished got warm? Similarly, if you caught it near the mouth of a trib to a warm stream or river, it may have entered the trib in less than ideal condition from warm temps. Used to happen each June in Valley Ck for example…big, skinny fish, sometimes as many as 40-50, would enter Valley and stage from the dam to the mouth.

Someone from here sent me this dry fly eater yesterday. The browns are already putting on their Sunday best for the spawn. Great fish BTW

Attachments

• IMG_20240923_135214~2.jpg
    IMG_20240923_135214~2.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 185
The observations that the fish is on his way out are the most likely explanations for the big head vs thinner body unless that fish spent part of the summer in less than desirable water temps. Any chance that the stream you fished got warm? Similarly, if you caught it near the mouth of a trib to a warm stream or river, it may have entered the trib in less than ideal condition from warm temps. Used to happen each June in Valley Ck for example…big, skinny fish, sometimes as many as 40-50, would enter Valley and stage from the dam to the mouth.
Most likely not a water temp issue in this case, Mike. I am going with past his prime, not unlike the dude who caught him....

That is a beautiful brown! Especially for a bigger one. I don’t know why but it seems like many browns loose the red spots and good colors as they get older. Anybody else notice this? Why are 10” wild browns regularly displaying such intense red spots red adipose fin, red on the tail. Yet many 20” wild browns seem to be much more muted in their colors? Just curious if anyone knows why this is?

That is a beautiful brown! Especially for a bigger one. I don’t know why but it seems like many browns loose the red spots and good colors as they get older. Anybody else notice this? Why are 10” wild browns regularly displaying such intense red spots red adipose fin, red on the tail. Yet many 20” wild browns seem to be much more muted in their colors? Just curious if anyone knows why this is?
I have seen what you describe, but I think it depends on the watershed in my experience. I do wonder if most of the ones that break 20 inches are of a certain strain.

To your point, one so colored up is def rare in my experience. In fact this guy is so cute, I believe I caught him over 4 years ago in the same general vicinity when he was fatter and yet shorter (again, not unlike the guy who caught him).

I have seen what you describe, but I think it depends on the watershed in my experience. I do wonder if most of the ones that break 20 inches are of a certain strain.

To your point, one so colored up is def rare in my experience. In fact this guy is so cute, I believe I caught him over 4 years ago in the same general vicinity when he was fatter and yet shorter (again, not unlike the guy who caught him).
That’s interesting, perhaps that strain just has less red spots?

It’s neat catching a fish again once he is big and bad. Especially one that pretty. Seems to me that about 17-18” is where they lose those vibrant colors to me.

The fish in the second and third pic displays the sparse spot pattern you see on fish there sometimes, very cool. Well done NR! I havent had time to get up there at all this fall! Levels are so low but I may still head up and get a day or two of wade fishing in. I'll shoot you a PM!

Its almost striper time too

Back