Soft Hackle PT Variations

T

tctrout

Like a lot of people, I love tying variations of certain patterns...and one of my favorites is the Soft Hackle PT. In my video, two variations are shared that have worked well for me over the years. If you've modified this fly, too, I'd love to hear what changes you've made.

TC

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77S5Wef14CI[/youtube]

Nice video Tim. I just tied my first soft hackle PT last night so your post is very timely.

All my PT and Hare's Ear nymphs are tied soft hackle style. Mostly use starling as the soft hackle.

Tim,

Real nice video and some great variations of what IMO is one of the most fish catchin' patterns out there. Here is a photo of another variation that has really produced well for me over the years. The flashback PT soft hackle. It is just a standard PT with a single strand of holographic green flashabou tied in over the back. I rib on top of the flash material with size small gold ultra wire. Peacock ice dub for the thorax and partridge for the hackle. I also like to use Pearsalls silk in hot orange for my PT soft hackles. I never really got into putting beads on soft hackles because I think having them "pop" up into the water column when they hit the swing is the point where the fish just seem to hammer them. I would think a tungsten bead on the fly would limit the ability of the fly to rise quickly in the water column when it catches the drag of the leader. Thanks for sharing your videos with us. I have always enjoyed watching them and have really learned a lot from them.

Attachments

• Flashback PT soft hackle.JPG
    Flashback PT soft hackle.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 5
RCFetter wrote:
Nice video Tim. I just tied my first soft hackle PT last night so your post is very timely.

That was perfect timing, RC; thanks for the kind words.

Tim

I appreciate you sharing your variations too, DC, and I agree that it's a pattern that catches....period! The pic of your fly is a great one, and that looks like an incredible pattern.

I also understand what you mean regarding the bead. I fish them both ways, and do like the notion as fishing these more "emerger-style," especially post-swing.

Thanks again for the kind words, and again to all who shared their own variations.

Tim

dc410 wrote:
Tim,

Real nice video and some great variations of what IMO is one of the most fish catchin' patterns out there. Here is a photo of another variation that has really produced well for me over the years. The flashback PT soft hackle. It is just a standard PT with a single strand of holographic green flashabou tied in over the back. I rib on top of the flash material with size small gold ultra wire. Peacock ice dub for the thorax and partridge for the hackle. I also like to use Pearsalls silk in hot orange for my PT soft hackles. I never really got into putting beads on soft hackles because I think having them "pop" up into the water column when they hit the swing is the point where the fish just seem to hammer them. I would think a tungsten bead on the fly would limit the ability of the fly to rise quickly in the water column when it catches the drag of the leader. Thanks for sharing your videos with us. I have always enjoyed watching them and have really learned a lot from them.

Back