Soft Hackle Problem

K

Kill3ducks1deer

How long should your soft hackle come off your hook, I am decently new to fly tying so bear with me. I am talking about each small individual feather when you wrap it. I was tying some Beadhead soft hackle PT and it seemed like hackle was to long, how big of a feather do you use when tying? If you don't understand what I mean just ask and I will try to better clarify.

I guess I should also ask where you get your fly trying stuff too. I don't know where to get my feathers and such for a decent price. And how are Allen fly fishing's hooks? They seem pretty cheap and I wanted to know if they are still good quality, thanks for any info.

For soft hackles the rule of thumb I have heard is that the hackle should extend to the bend of the hook. But I vary that a lot depending on the fly. Basically I use what looks right to me most of the time. For a pheasant tail nymph I would probably have the tips at around the hook point.
Here is a great primer on soft hackles:
http://www.jackgartside.com/step_soft_hackle_flies.htm
You will find that the majority of feathers are too long (probably some variation on Murphy's law). In that case you can use a distributed wrap method that takes a bit of time to master but can produce really nice results. Here is an explanation of one version of the distributed wrap:
http://singlebarbed.com/2009/12/28/cal-biards-modified-distribution-wrap-for-monty-montana/
For materials, there are a lot of online sources like jstockard or flyfisher's paradise that sell quality stuff. Of course nothing can beat visiting a local shop and actually seeing the materials you are buying. Allen has pretty good quality hooks at a great price. I use their standard nymph and wet fly hooks and their premium dry fly hooks. There have been a couple of discussions on the forum about hooks, and it can be a bit like religion. My advice is to try the different brands yourself. Even the expensive hooks are cheap enough to buy a pack and try

Great Feathers Fly Shop in Sparks, MD has one of the best selections for soft hackles. Cookshill, Veniard and other hard to find game birds. Another would be Badger Creek Fly tying.

for mayfly and midge imitations, just past the bend. For caddis imitations, half to 3/4 a hook gap past the bend- they should be tied in longer

i vary my length.i make partridge a little longer than hen.(usually)and i like starling to be even shorter than that.i put quail about between the barb and the bend.woodcock i like long.

i tye my reverse spiders about to the barb,if they were facing that way,but they aren't

also my hook of choice is the mustad 3399,followed by the 3906.i do use other hooks if that's what i get my hands on.

like for example eagle claw hooks,they're fantastic

If you guys wouldn't have scared J Utah away ,we would have had this all cleared up by now ,with videos and everything

When I first starting tying soft hackles a dozen or so years ago, the advice I was given was that 1/2 the length of the hook is too short and 1 1/2 time the length of the hook is too long; anything in between is too fair game.

Remember that the hackle represent wings and tails more so than legs. Longer is not a bad thing, unless you're trying to represent tiny insects on a slightly larger hook.

that's a good way to put it!!

i read an article not too long ago i think it was in fly fisherman about people dont go long enough on soft hackles the guy was using schlappen and making some nice soft hackles and north country spiders i think he was an english or irish gent ill see if i can find a link
heres one for stones but not the one im talking about

GREEN DRAKE SOFT HACKLE;

Attachments

• 5-23-2011 asaph 018.jpg
    5-23-2011 asaph 018.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 3
PMB SOFT HACKLE;

Attachments

• 5-22-2011 asaph 003.jpg
    5-22-2011 asaph 003.jpg
    993.6 KB · Views: 5
blk. stone;

Attachments

• 11-5-2010 068.jpg
    11-5-2010 068.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 3
here's a joe fox(catskill dette family) partridge and orange that i consider to be right on.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150436717523972&set=a.348202733971.152866.161664208971&type=3&theater

vary the length, some short, some long, some in between....find which one works and stick with it.

These are tied with varying lengths of Whiting Hebert minor hen saddle hackles in pale watery dun, med dun and two unique variants...all varying lengths and with white, black or red thread bodies.
2012-05-28_22-33-19_376.jpg

I think I am going to tie a few up and take a pic and post them to get your opinions. It sounds like I am somewhat close to being ok, just want to make sure

Back