So, do you think Tricos are done?

D

dubthethorax

Just curious...With the cold front that just came in, do you think it totally shut them off, or is there still a chance I'll come across some tomorrow?

No, I don't. They'll start falling later, but will last until a good frost.

It depends, I suppose that on some creeks that have tricos they are over. But on LL they continue until Dec. 1 or there about. I've also fished the spinner fall on Bushkill in Easton until the end of Oct. As to where else I can't really say, but I'd bet you can find them elsewhere.
Conventional wisdon always said they ended with the first frost, but that is not true at all. They do however start much later in the dayand I suspect that's the rub. Probably anglers were looking for them in the morning, when they shifted to an afternoon affair. When I fished them on Dec. 1 they were having their spinner flight in the afternoon with the spinner fall right up until dark.

I was just reading Tom Baltz's September 14 fishing report on the Yellow Breeches and he mention tricos were still on there. Check it out at http://www.orvis.com/fishing_report.aspx?locationid=6015

I have seen Tricos hatching through October and even into early November in the mid-state area.

I agree with both Troutbert and Chaz > Trico hatches usually found into October, but the spinner fall may be later in the afternoon, the warmest part of the day.

Fished LL from 7-12pm today. Covered about 1.5 miles of water. Saw two tricos the entire time. Barely any rises either. All fish came from nymphing.

It was cold and dreary yesterday, but I think the LL is still kinda down after the flooding yet. How was the water yesterday Dub?

dubthethorax wrote:
Fished LL from 7-12pm today. Saw two tricos the entire time. Barely any rises either.

afishinado wrote:
but the spinner fall may be later in the afternoon, the warmest part of the day.

Gutcutter- I'm fully capable of reading. Was just sharing my observations.

Brandon- running around 200 so a little fast and high but actually very clear. Water temp was 55 when a guy next to me checked it.

The tricos will usually hatch until the second frost of the year. Like others said the spinner will happen later in the day.

Dub, never expect to see a good trico hatch on a cloudy overcast day. Rule #1 for finding a trico hatches is sunny blue bird days are the best.

I was out this past sunday, and there was a pretty decent hatch.

I agree with the board here that they will usually last until the end of october. But as JayL points outs the first hard frost. This usually coincides with the end of October. I have seen trico hatches in December, but its gotta be unseasonably warm.

I've seen tricos on the LL on many cloudy days and some of the best fishing.

Back