snakeheads

sniperfreak223

sniperfreak223

I've heard rumors that these are now an invasive in some PA waters. I would really like to pursue these guys, and given their high threat invasive status, I've also heard they're fine eating. Do they exist in PA, and if so, in what watersheds or regions?

sniperfreak223 wrote:
I would really like to pursue these guys....

I wouldn't bother.

Snakeheads probably aren't a viable game fish worth pursuing in PA. They have been found in some places in SEPA and the lower Delaware River but I don't think they exist in numbers (at least not yet) worth targeting. If you really want to pursue snakeheads you'll want to visit the tidal Potomac where they're numerous and have something of a growing cult following.

Snakeheads have been discussed a good bit on this forum - try searching the topic.

this past summer did a lot of catfish fishing in the skuke. saw them basically every night I was down there blowing up something. that being said never caught one. they don't hit lures really. most guys who I have talked to down there said you have to snag them. bellow Fairmount is where you have to go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AccI6-_JpcE

They are readily caught on bass crank baits. They are numerous enough in the upper end of the tidal Delaware to have successfully supported a bow fishing tournament last summer for a day. Over 20 were brought in. Also, anglers did well there last summer.

I've seen TV shows of guys fishing for them in the Florida channels. Topwater lures seemed to be fairly productive for them, although I didn't see any fly fishing on the show.

The snakeheads in marcq's video were obviously trying to get that ice cold Pabst that someone must've accidentally dropped over the rail. Who can blame them.

for how dirty it is man I can honestly say its one of the most diverse streams in the area. I love it. I am still trying to find spots where fly fishing is possible. there are a few but not many.one is really good for shad. considering trying to pick up a switch rod to hit the bank. always holds a good number of stripers and some bigger ones too.

Mark,
I wholeheartedly share your enthusiasm for that fishing hole. In addition, your video captured the foam from the treated sewage beautifully. When we electrofish in a boat at the base of the dam and the flows are high enough, the misty spray from the falls, which I am sure you have seen, ends up on our faces and lips. We always say "don't lick your lips."
Mike

I've actually pulled a few large mouth out of the sewage outlet. in a few weeks I will start night fishing for walleye but its a mixed bag whenever you go down there. Usually get at least one hybrid when fishing for walleyes every year.

The lakes in Roosevelt Park in South Philly are probably the best place to hook into a snakehead. That's where the local infestation originated, though you don't hear as much about them as you do about the ones in the Potomac. They can be caught on a fly rod. A friend of mine caught one, about 14 inches long and had it mounted. It's hanging on the wall in the Sporting Gentleman in Media.
I learned to fish on the Skuke and it is far cleaner now than when I was a kid. I can remember rings of coal tar on my bobbers and globs of it sticking to my line. Haven't fished it in a long time, even though I live about a block from it. Just not a lot of spots to fly fish from or wade. The stretch that's always fascinated me is from the mouth of the Wissahickon up to Flat Rock Dam. If you know where to fish and how to get there, which I don',t it's suppose to hold a lot of smallmouth and muskie, along with stripers, walleye and flatheads.

From what I hear the snakeheads in FDR were cleaned out. I fished it a few times and never caught one. I did have one beach itself right in front of me though.

When i was a kid my uncle had a house on river road. We used to fish in that section Jerry mentioned. Used to catch catfish well over 30 inches, that was about it though.

I have been wanting to travel down to the Potomac and fish for snakeheads for a while now. I really don't think that they are posing nearly as much of a threat as people thought that they would. They seem easy to target and basic bass techniques seem to work well in shallow weedy water that is also typical largemouth habitat.

One thing that I always find particularly humoring when buzz over invasive species starts happening is the old assumption that "they have no natural predators so nothing is going to eat them." This is one of the dumbest arguements I have ever heard and any fisherman should know that. I've caught bass and other fish on so many lures that resemble NOTHING NATURAL and they ate it. If a fish sees a smaller fish, or anything that resembles someting edible, and they have the easy opportunity to eat it, then they often times will. They don't discriminate and say, "oh, that's a snakehead, I can't eat that because I'm not supposed to be its predator." The only displaement issue would be if it takes over bass spawning areas and spawns earlier, grows faster, etc and then snakeheads are more likely to eat the YOY bass than vice versa. The snakeheads really don't seem to be affecting the largemouths too negatively, however. Let's not forget, Largemouths are also voracious predators with HUGE mouths that will eat A LOT.

Not sure how I missed it last time this thread was active, but Mike mentioned bowefishing for snakeheads. I thought only carp, suckers, and catfish were legal to shoot with a bow? Was the tournament a special thing?

jifigz wrote:
I really don't think that they are posing nearly as much of a threat as people thought that they would.

I'm inclined to agree (at least for now).

And I think there's a growing consensus in the Potomac area lately that also agrees with you. Much of the doom and gloom promulgated when snakeheads were first discovered there seems to have been exaggerated.

Back