Snakehead article

Snakehead reports in Pa always poured in during July and August, mainly being caught by anglers who were not targeting them. In addition anglers reported seeing pairs guarding nests at that time. I always advised them that if they wished to have an impact on possibly hundreds of snakeheads, just harvest the spawning adults. Panfish and other fish predation on the juveniles would take care of the rest without guarding parents.

When I pull my first one out of the Juniata it's going to the dinner table.

Yes sir same here when I nail one on the north branch. The latest episode of hook shots that Fred Stars in shows a very nice receipe for those beautiful looking fillets.

If you haven't already seen it, there's a nice article by Fredrick on the home page blog detailing his start in fishing for snakeheads.
Check it out.

From today

https://triblive.com/local/pittsburgh-allegheny/invasive-northern-snakehead-fish-confirmed-caught-in-monongahela-river/

Snakehead reports in Pa always poured in during July and August, mainly being caught by anglers who were not targeting them. In addition anglers reported seeing pairs guarding nests at that time. I always advised them that if they wished to have an impact on possibly hundreds of snakeheads, just harvest the spawning adults. Panfish and other fish predation on the juveniles would take care of the rest without guarding parents.

NVM too easy :pint:

https://www.foxnews.com/science/snakehead-fish-discovered-georgia

its still just regurgitated text. local news affiliates reported this days ago and the networks pick it up from them, almost word for word. CNN, FOX, NEWSWEEK...its not like any of the big boys did the work. But hey, I guess snakeheads are still worthy of hyperbole.

tomgamber wrote:
its still just regurgitated text. local news affiliates reported this days ago and the networks pick it up from them, almost word for word. CNN, FOX, NEWSWEEK...its not like any of the big boys did the work. But hey, I guess snakeheads are still worthy of hyperbole.

They definitely still receive lots of sensationalism

that was kind if the point. they play it because its the boogey-man not because they are concerned for the bass or did any research of their own.

Snake heads , another invasive species that has some benefits. They are fun to catch,fight like fish should,and are delicious .
The same thing was probably said about Brown Trout several hundred years ago.

I highly doubt they will have anything close to the negative effects that BT have had on trout Waters . But the jury is still out I guess we will see 100 years from now .

Attachments

• 0CD3FAEA-E9CA-40E6-A2A5-DD8B808B300A.jpeg
    0CD3FAEA-E9CA-40E6-A2A5-DD8B808B300A.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 3
Back