Snake guides or Single Foot Guides?

That is one nice wrap job.

I don't have a preference on snake vs. single foot. With that said, most of my rods have snake guides. As long as the rod is designed with the components in mind, and performance is not affected, it doesn't make a difference to me. If the right number of guides are on the rod, spacing on them is good then I haven't found much of a difference between them.

I have a cheapie 7ft 4wt Browning Rod that I still enjoy casting from time to time but have found that my line is more likely to tangle on that one if I'm not careful. There are too few guides on it IMHO and they're spaced out too far.

I'm no rod builder, just basing my opinion on experience with the rods I own.

jaybo41,
You are right on with the first consideration being getting the right number of guides. This is the most important thing. Assuming you got that part right, the type of guide really does mak a difference. There is nothing that offers better performance than single foot ceramic ring guides. They are noticeable slicker than any type of wire guides. The single wrap also keeps weight down giving you the best (IMHO) performance although the least traditional look. Here is a spey rod built with these guides. This rod was built for Dennis Vidmar, the creater of the woven cadis fly pattern featured in fly fisherman magazine last year. Try it. You'll like it!

Attachments

• DSC_002600181.JPG
    DSC_002600181.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 5
Back