Snake boots

T

Twofly

I know rattler bites are pretty rare in PA, but after a close encounter with a large timber, they are always in the front of my mind when brookie fishing miles from the car. I always pay close attention to where I step but most times theirs no other way to approach a hole without slogging though heavy thick grass or ferns where you cant see the ground. I feel I have been tempting faith for a while. Do any of you hard core brookie fisherman wear snake boots or snake chaps? Or are you confident hip waders are sufficient protection. If so ,what brands are most comfortable.

I don't have any snake chaps for fishing, but I always wear them for work.

I need to get another pair for fishing, because I know breathable waders or muck boots ain't stopping a rattler's fangs.

Carry a hiking/wading staff and probe the brush in front of you. I also carry a small revolver with shot shells - an effective snake repellent.

Twofly wrote:
I know rattler bites are pretty rare in PA, but after a close encounter with a large timber, they are always in the front of my mind when brookie fishing miles from the car. I always pay close attention to where I step but most times theirs no other way to approach a hole without slogging though heavy thick grass or ferns where you cant see the ground. I feel I have been tempting faith for a while. Do any of you hard core brookie fisherman wear snake boots or snake chaps? Or are you confident hip waders are sufficient protection. If so ,what brands are most comfortable.

I hear ya. Ive been going in shorts and Tevas all summer. I get myself worked up about snakes sometimes in the ground cover as you described. Most of the time I dont even think about them.

Back