Smooth or Textured Fly Line?

tjsingle

tjsingle

Hey Guys,

Considering getting some new fly line in the future for the main 5WT setup. I have been looking at Orvis Pro Trout, and I am trying to decide between smooth or textured?

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Tom

tjsingle wrote:
Hey Guys,

Considering getting some new fly line in the future for the main 5WT setup. I have been looking at Orvis Pro Trout, and I am trying to decide between smooth or textured?

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Tom

I really like textured line and have been using it for the last 7 or 8 years.

If you don't mind the little "zip.....zip" noise >

It shoots very well and adds some distance to your casts.

As well you can shoot line very well in tight spots without much room for backcasts.

Floats well.

Seems to float longer without cleaning it as often.

Seems to last longer than other regular lines I use.

I'll second what Afish said.

I bought an Orvis Hydros HD a few years ago.
Liked it so much, I bought the Orvis Pro earlier this year.
My new favorite lines

I think I have the Hydros HD, too. I like it a lot. I'm not sure if it's worth the premium cost, but the advertised benefits seem legit to me.

I might have to get the textured, I like everything I've heard so far!

I know they're pricey.
But I'm thinking they last for quite awhile.
I bought my hydros used on eBay. Don't know how old it was then.
But I've used it for 2 full seasons, and several times already this year.
And it's still fine

I'm a textured guy too but had a trout on the Delaware burn the hell out of my finger. That being said I love the way they float and cast.

I picked up a textured line for my first 8wt setup. After fishing only smooth lines on my 5 wt rods, i found the noise from the textured line annoying. Not enough to make me switch it out for a smooth line, but it definitely takes some getting used to. You may want to try casting one sometime when shops open back up just to see if you think it is something that you will like. I talked to a few guys who couldn't get used to the noise of a textured line and ended up switching back to smooth lines. It's all a personal preference, but for the cost of fly line, you want to make sure you'll be happy with the experience you'll be getting.

I got used to the zing pretty quick.
But my hearing is starting to go............

Haha...same!

Depends.

I like textured for 5wt and up.

I like smooth for 4wt and down.

Ill explain:

I feel like the textured line shoots better and the added noise is another thing to tune into for the timing of a long cast.
Spey or double haul.

The smooth line, like cortland 444 sylk glides through glass rods on brook trout or chalk streams with complete ease. Really amazing feeling to the cast .

That said i am also a fan of Hydros 3d

had a sharkskin line I really liked. I will second the comment about sawing through your finger. Got crazy distance with it. Lasted several years.

Textured lines shoot great and the noise can be annoying at times but not a dealbreaker for me. One thing though, if you have sensitive skin, it can be really tough on the fingers. If you strip streamers or strip fish in and not reel your fingers can get irritated. You’ll need stripping guards. Great fishing lines though.

I just bought a spare spool for Scientific Anglers System 6, and the good news is that it looks like it has hardly ever been used. Now the fly line on my SA System 6 reel now is about 8 years old. I clean my fly line two or three time a season and at the end of the season, sometime in December, so it is ready for some February/March fishing.
I use my SA for my 9’ graphic and my two Fenwick fiberglass (7.5’ & 8’) rods all 6 wt. I also have a Allen rod and reel with a spare spool, but they are all 3 wt.
I have been seeing on this site about textured fly line and as I read little about it and have only used WF fly lines on my 6 wt. I am wondering what is the advantage of a textured fly line and is it as easy to clean as smooth and are there any drawbacks. Couple other questions, as I have almost always have used WF fly line, I have been thinking about going with a DT line, but as I mostly fish small over grown streams and use a roll cast most of the time, any thoughts of WF vs DT, as I have read that DT doesn’t do roll cast as well as WT.
I see that textured makes a “zip… zip” noise but I don’t think that will bother me as I’m half deaf and I don’t wear my hearing aids when I’m fishing. I also reading that it sometime burns or hurt your hands, as I was an office puke before I retired, this might be a problem. Is the thing with your hands a real problem or are people just pulling my chain and what are stripping guards?
One other question will or do fly shops let me try the textured fly line on one of their rods and if so which one should I stop at. I want to try it on water and I not into lawn casting to try fly lines or fly rods.
Thanks for any help.

Textured all the way. If even just for the cool zing

LOL - re the "zing". This is a little bit like drivers who don't know what a stick shift is are probably Millenials. Some old timers remember that silk line has a zing to it. Also, a few plastic aficionados remember the British Masterlines. (I am hoarding mine).

Ended up getting Orvis Pro Trout Textured. It came in the mail today and I am excited to get it on my reel!

I noticed that this line has a loop on the running line, all my lines in the past have not had this and I would use an albright know to attach the fly line to backing. Do you guys use the Bimini twist to get a loop in the backing, or simply cut off the rear loop and go with old trusty? I'm a little bit skeptical over the rear loop, but to be honest I probably won't see my backing until I get new line. I've seen the welded loops crack and blow out before, so I am not sure how inclined I am to use that as the attachment to my backing....

a big triple surgeons loop knot is all you need. big enough such that the spool can fit through the loop.

tjsingle wrote:
Ended up getting Orvis Pro Trout Textured. It came in the mail today and I am excited to get it on my reel!

I noticed that this line has a loop on the running line, all my lines in the past have not had this and I would use an albright know to attach the fly line to backing. Do you guys use the Bimini twist to get a loop in the backing, or simply cut off the rear loop and go with old trusty? I'm a little bit skeptical over the rear loop, but to be honest I probably won't see my backing until I get new line. I've seen the welded loops crack and blow out before, so I am not sure how inclined I am to use that as the attachment to my backing....

At the shop I always tied a Bimini loop at the tag end of the backing and attached the fly line loop to loop. This is the way saltwater lines are attached so no worries about the strength of the loop to loop attachment. In addition, the fly line can respooled onto your empty factory spool and easily be removed to change lines without a knot.

I also used the welded loop to attach the line to the backing.

Have never had any built in loops fail yet.
And not very concerned about it

Back