Smoky Mountains Trip Journal 2007

Hank, sorry you and Judy couldn't make it.

Had a great time with everyone on the trip. Thanks. I don't see any pictures of Brook Trout? I will send you mine when I get them off of my camera.

I just came across this quotation, coincidentally on the Little River Outfitters message board, and it fairly sums up why I continue to return to the Smokies to fly fish each Spring:

"Your stature as a fly fisherman isn't determined by how big a trout you can catch, but by how small a trout you can catch without being disappointed, and, of course, without losing the faith that there's a bigger one in there."

--John Gierach

Now that looks like a fun trip. I have a friend who fished down there two years ago. He came back, put a for sale sign on his place up here, and moved down there 2 months later. Maybe I outter pay him a visit.

Festus,
The draw for me is that there are probably 20 different bodies of water in as many minutes of driving. Its all so close. Most of the fish are small but there are some big 'uns in there. I bet you'd make a killing in the Autumn.

I'd move down there in a heartbeat. Tell Ms Kitty to pack her saddlebags and point the ponies south.

Fredrick,
There is a picture of you in there now and I do believe that there is a Rolling Rock in your hand. Although it ain't a western PA thing anymore it is kind of cool seeing it in the hand of a philly man.

In my view, the trout streams of the southern Appalachians are the most beautiful I've ever fished, including anywhere out west.

I agree. The Little River is so beautiful, especially the Middle Prong and the East Prong above Elkmont. My favorite place to fish in the US so far, even if the fish are smaller.

Ryan I look at it as a Pa thing. Don't worry though we still got Yuengling :lol: :pint:

Back