SMB spawning success

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
It seems every year we see a high water event in the spring or early summer during or right after the smallie spawn.

This year the high water event happened a little later on the major PA rivers, a month or so after the peak of the spawn.

What is the critical time for the flow to be moderate or low for a successful spawning season?

We need a few years of good spawns to build the population back to levels seen in the 90's.

Any predictions on the effect of this YOY crop of SMB's?

Been thinking about this too.

I'm not sure the answer to your question. I've always assumed that the period from about early May to late June was the most critical and we had good, stable levels this year. It wasn't until the latter part of June that things blew out. We'll have to wait and see what the Sept PFBC YOY data turn up. If YOY is good across the big PA rivers, we can perhaps conclude a bit more strongly that high flows in late June correlate with less impact.

It would make a good research paper: graph the flow levels on the big PA rivers and compare them to YOY data. Certain years, like 2007, often produce very good YOY counts across the board (except the lower Susky, which is, of course, a different situation). Did years such as 07 have stable levels all spring and summer, or mainly in May or June?

Perhaps Mike will chime in - would be interested in his view on this question.

What is found this year with respect to YOY abundance when the official abundance indexing surveys begin will be interesting for the reason that Fishidiot states above....mid to late June high water (as opposed to an earlier time period). This may have allowed the YOY to be larger than normal before the high water hit. The surveys in SE Pa will start as soon as the water drops to workable levels and water clarity improves.

Has PAFBC considered hatchery raised fingerlings (reared in Susquehanna water of course) to offset some of the early season high water woes? I know the trout fingerling programs have had mixed reviews. Perhaps a new gene pool from Maine or Ontario might help. Just armchair fishery management here so don't take me too seriously.

JG63 wrote:
Has PAFBC considered hatchery raised fingerlings

Yes, they've considered this. I can't recall the rational for not attempting this, but it was ruled out (at least for the time being) as an option for the lower Susky.

My two cents and observations this season, and others from a committed Smallmouth junkie :

I guide and fish the Yough drainage predominately these days (especially the last 5-6 years), and work closely with the PAFBC in our region as part of the Yough Work Group. Many may or may not know 20 years ago it was a dead river period! This is a unique fishery by all accounts. We've seen the worst of what man and nature has to offer. Luckily man has befriended this watershed, and the 2014-15 PAFBC reports merely scratch the surface of the incredible things that have happened with this watershed. Of course trout make the front page news around here, but Smallies are the real heroes. With no help other than cleaner water, the populations in the Yough are greater in number and overall size than anywhere else in the state.

High water:
With a high gradient for such a large river we see truly extreme high water events! I couldn't agree more that this plays a major factor in the survival of YOY bass. Last year for example we had a lot of early season high water from May-mid June. As a result I did not see many smallmouth fry along the banks of the river. This year in contrast we've had non-stop high water since mid/late June. Before this the Yough and the Casselman where literally infested with Smallmouth fry! They where just everywhere in schools of thousands. It was absolutely amazing. Now these fry where not much more than tadpole sized by the time the rains came, so who knows, but each year we continue to catch fish of all sizes on any given day. From YOY to wise resident old timers. Even for the most impaired fisheries this is a great example of hope and possibility.

Thoughts on stocking:
To me the above is proof enough that with all the expense and effort that goes into supporting a robust trout fishery in our region; it can't hold a candle to what nature can do on it's own when allowed and enabled to do so. Like the Yough the Susky has the habitat it just needs its health back. I grew up in Williamsport, and have faith that once given what it needs; and sometime; it can easily return to it's glory. Let's keep up the support for PA's native fisheries!!

cricketontherun wrote:
Luckily man has befriended this watershed, and the 2014-15 PAFBC reports merely scratch the surface of the incredible things that have happened with this watershed. Of course trout make the front page news around here, but Smallies are the real heroes. With no help other than cleaner water, the populations in the Yough are greater in number and overall size than anywhere else in the state.

Even for the most impaired fisheries this is a great example of hope and possibility.

I grew up in Williamsport, and have faith that once given what it needs; and sometime; it can easily return to it's glory. Let's keep up the support for PA's native fisheries!!

Great to hear the wonderful news about the Yough drainage. The reports on smallie fishing seem to get better every year.

You mention Williamsport: the West Branch of the Susquehanna, like the Yough, also used to be a dead river from acid mine drainage and the West Branch has also cleared up and become a world class SMB fishery. Not all the SMB news in PA is doom and gloom.

A note for those who aren't familiar with the history of smallmouth bass in PA: The SMB is not native to the Susky watershed but was introduced over a century ago. SMBs are native to the Yough watershed.

cricketontherun wrote:

Last year for example we had a lot of early season high water from May-mid June. As a result I did not see many smallmouth fry along the banks of the river. This year in contrast we've had non-stop high water since mid/late June. Before this the Yough and the Casselman where literally infested with Smallmouth fry! They where just everywhere in schools of thousands. It was absolutely amazing. Now these fry where not much more than tadpole sized by the time the rains came, so who knows, but each year we continue to catch fish of all sizes on any given day.

Please keep us informed of your observations with respect to what you're seeing with YOY this year. Also, if your regional PFBC AFM does any studies of SMBs in the Yough, by all means share that info if possible. Inquiring minds want to know.

Back