Smallmouth trips with kids

Acristickid

Acristickid

Smallmouth for kids.

Trying to explore options for a float trip (or a lake trip) for smallmouth with kids.

The kids are good anglers for 11 and 13. It would be a treat to take a trip (for them and myself). 13 year will fly fish and the 11 year will spin fish at least half the time. Might be just one kid a trip at a time or 2 kids 2 adults.

My knee can’t take an all day wade right now and the summer heat would zap our energy. Thought a boat would be easier to keep them focused and have more action. Probably planning for a few weeks from now. ( hopefully the waters are back to normal by then)

Open to ideas and locations from Erie to Susquehanna River. Perhaps even a canoe rental- I’ve done the lower Yough via Hazelbakers rental in Perryopolis.

Any waters, guides, outfitters or rental places you recommend?

Thanks Paul

You might try contacting Jake Villwock or Brian Shumaker and inquire into whether they can get you out for a half day trip on the Juniata River.

I would recommend the middle Clarion River, maybe a trip around Clear Creek or Cook Forest. Lots of smallies, easy floats, and many canoe rentals to pick from.

Upper allegheny river is a nice float. Plenty of places to rent a kayak or canoe.

All good suggestions. I'm partial to the Juniata since it is my home. I've spent a lot of time on the Clarion too and it fishes well around cooksburg. It is a nice small river but definitely doesn't produce as many big fish as the Juniata.

Thanks for the suggestions- very good!!

Anyone have any Lake Erie suggestions??

I’m leaning that way since the guiding costs are considerably less ( you know, not fly fishing rates). Say $500 vs $350 on a cursory search. Lake Erie claiming to be the small mouth capital of the world.

acristickid wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions- very good!!

Anyone have any Lake Erie suggestions??

I’m leaning that way since the guiding costs are considerably less ( you know, not fly fishing rates). Say $500 vs $350 on a cursory search. Lake Erie claiming to be the small mouth capital of the world.

Hey Paul,

For a good chance lotsa big smallies for the kids to catch, without concern about flow conditions on smallie rivers, your choice of Lake Erie can't be beat.

Big Smallies

persque isle bay Is a nice float you can go back in the channels of the swamp. Don’t know how the smallmouth are but I know there in the bay.

The only SMB you'll find in the "back channels" or "swamp" of Presque Isle Bay this time of year will be the ones you bring with you.... LMB, maybe, depending upon how much wave action or aeration the water is getting back there. But smallmouth, no.

Lake Erie proper is another story. If you can get access to a (at least) a 14' v-hull boat that can take a foot or two of chop, you could launch out of Shades Beach or anywhere on the East side of Erie, go out into 20-30 feet of water or so and get all the smallmouth you'd want. Be tough to fly fish for them though. Jigs, deep running lures and crawler harnesses would be a lot better. You'd need to drift or troll (rhymes with droll).

Somebody mentioned the middle Clarion. I'd second this. Lots of fish and an easy float. Depending on flows, the same would go for the Allegheny in the section from the ANF access at Buckaloons down through to Emlenton. Quite a few access/egress points. Just pick one that suits you.

As a wild card, you might also consider the Allegheny Reservoir in the Sugar Bay or higher up in the Kinzua arm. There are a lot of bass here (although the general run is smaller), but there is also a lot of water. You'd have to find the fish, but this shouldn't be too difficult. Rocky points and tight to steeper drop-offs etc. Fly fishing would be pretty limited to early and late, but this would be true in any lake or still water. Beautiful scenery and lots of places to camp if that is on the agenda.

A few ideas, anyway....

Thanks for the suggestions.

However; I eluded to a bad knee in my post and well I shredded my quadriceps tendon Sunday. Surgery today and no fishing for a while. Now I’ll really be looking forward to fishing again.

Many years of slip sliding on rocks certainly contributed to my knees demise. The silver lining is - Dr said there was degeneration in the knee and based on my profile it was only a matter of time- so glad this did not happen out in the woods in a stream a mile from the car.

BTW-
gutcutter’s relative was my Anesthesiologist

acristickid wrote:

However; I eluded to a bad knee in my post and well I shredded my quadriceps tendon Sunday. Surgery today and no fishing for a while. Now I’ll really be looking forward to fishing again.

Many years of slip sliding on rocks certainly contributed to my knees demise. The silver lining is - Dr said there was degeneration in the knee and based on my profile it was only a matter of time- so glad this did not happen out in the woods in a stream a mile from the car.

BTW-

Very sorry to hear, Paul.

Get well soon.

The smallies will be there when you're ready for them.

acristickid wrote:

BTW-

Sorry to hear that, and sorry I took so long to read this thread.

But all is not lost. You could still rent a boat on a lake, possibly even a pontoon boat.

Erie might be a little rough doe someone with a bad leg.

Since you specified SMB, I'm going to throw you a curve. Consider Chautauqua in NY state. Long narrow lake that us USUALLY calm. But if wind is out of NW, all bets are off. I used to keep a boat up there and it produced some very large smallmouth, not to mention largemouth, crappie, walleye, and is probably best known for it's Muskie fishing.

Chautauqua is the first place I ever saw a smallmouth over 5 pounds. It was weighed in front of me (at a tournament), but I can't remember the weight. May have been 6 pounds. Disclaimer, I wasn't in the tournament. I just volunteered at the weigh-in, and released a lot of bass near my boat.;-)

Although Chautauqua does have some deep potholes to 60 feet or so in the upper basin, Much of the lake is fairly shallow, especially the lower basin.

I kept a boat up there for a couple years back in the late 80s. First year I kept it at Long Point State Park marina. It fished well for smallmouth between there and the bridge. I'd imagine you could even fly fish for them in that lake. Second year I kept the boat where the lake narrows to an outlet, and caught mostly LMB.

There are some lakes in NWPA that are probably also decent for SMB.

Tionesta Resevoir is a good smallmouth fishery, but I haven't fished it since the 80s or early 90s, either. It might be difficult to fly fish, and I don't know about boat rentals.

Pymatuning is close to where I live now and is a great warm water fishing lake. It also has several boat rentals including pontoon rentals. It does have some SMB, but I usually catch LMB and Crappie. But then, I was targeting crappie and LMB. It's on the state line, and if fishing from a boat, you only need a license from one state.

Wilhelm is a great warm water fishery. It apparently has SMB, but like others, I targeted LMB and crappie. I haven't fished that since the 80s, either. I need to get out more.

Possibly Woodcock lake north of Meadville? I never fished it, but I believe it has SMB, and LMB, and crappie, and muskie ... I think it is also stocked with trout. I don't know if they have boat rentals, but it does have a boat ramp. It's not a big lake, so I wouldn't assume that there are rentals

One more. There is a small lake in Venango county called Justus lake. It's a county park. It has a wide variety of fish and is even stocked with trout. At one time there was a small boat rental. No idea if it still does, and I am pretty sure it is a no gas motors lake. Would be great for kayaks. It's a pretty little lake that I used to frequent back in the day.

Maybe RLP can add others.

As far as streams go, one that was missed in this discussion is French Creek (flows into Allegheny at Franklin).

Lake Erie is a great option but Presque Isle I'd definitely not the summertime place for smallies. I hope that you heal up well and good luck with that.

With the exception of Lake Erie, reliable/worthwhile SMB lakes in the NW are kinda sparse. Woodcock (the creek but not the lake is stocked with trout, Dave..) is primarily a smallmouth lake, but like most of the ACE reservoirs, its kind of a funky lake to learn and do well on. They manage it mostly for tiger musky and walleye. Eaton Reservoir in Northeast Erie County is (roughly) a 50/50 SMB/LMB lake if you can figure out where to look for the smallmouth. The other thing about Eaton is that it is wall to wall 15-22" inch Pike. Unless you're fishing with wire (which can tend to bung up lure/fly action) it can be an expensive lake to fish as you're always getting sawed off by runty Northerns.

Tionesta Lake has a lot of smallmouth, but it is another ACE lake and is deep, weird and hard to read sometimes.

All these lakes are BYOB (bring your own boat). No rentals or commercial ops on them.

French Creek is an option, but I did not mention it in my prior post because Summertime fishing there from a watercraft usually involves a lot of dragging, at least in the upper watershed above say, Cochranton. From Cochranton to the mouth is a good float though, although a lot of it is trench-like, flat and not good SMB water. The exception to this is the section from the mouth upstream several miles to the junction with Sugar Creek.

I still think your best option with a couple teens/kids is the main Allegheny from about Buckaloons down to Emlenton or so. Eminently floatable, places to camp if you like and lots of bass.

First through of course, you need to get to a point where you are back among the mobile.. Good Luck!

Thank you gentlemen. Good info.

Back