Smallmouth newbie help

guidedbywire

guidedbywire

Hi. I hope this is in the right subforum (if not, mods can move it to locations? I guess).

I have a friend visiting Pennsylvania in the third week of June and he's interested in going smallmouth bass fly fishing. Somewhere around the Gettysburg-York-Harrisburg area ideally. (Trying to stay within a couple of hours of D.C. for logistical reasons)

Since I'm new to fly fishing in general and haven't done any fishing specifically for bass, and no fishing of any kind really in that area, I need some help.

1) It's my basic understanding that the susquehanna and its tribs are prime sm bass fishery. Is that a good region for smallmouth? At that time of the year? Are there better options we should be considering?

2) Are there any good smallmouth creeks and rivers on public land in that area so we wouldn't have any issues with access?

3) Can I get by with a 6-weight for smallmouth bass fishing or should I really go up to a 7/8 setup?

4) What sorts of flies work best for bass around there? Is it all just streamers and big buggers and baitfish looking patterns, or what?

I should mention, lakes and boats are not part of our plans. We want wadeable streams.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I can't help with the local knowledge questions, but I can help with a few:

1) 3rd week of June may be within a few weeks of the spawn. If so, fishing may be very slow. Smallies tend to sukl for a few weeks after they spawn. I had this experience last year at the same time below Kinzua on the Allegheny. It was brutal. However, you are quite a bit south of there. Maybe the post-spawn blues will be done by the 3rd week in June. That and a warmer than average Spring can work in your favor.

3) Yes! I can manage with a 5WT, although I do not recommend that. A fast action 6 WT with an aggressive line taper can work well. 7-8 WT is probably ideal for the longer casts and larger bass of the Susky in that area. On smaller streams, 5 WT works fine.

4) Fly choice is partially determined by the rod you use. Large, weighted or wind-resistant flies are unwise with a 5 WT. Generally, think about 3 levels in the water column: top, shallow, and deep.

TOP: Any white popper works on top. I really like a gurgler. It's very light and easy to cast. It makes enough noise and it gets eaten.

SHALLOW: My favorite smallie streamer is a Murdich Minnow. It is neutrally buoyant, kicks to the side on a snap-strip, and flutters in the current when pause. It drives smallie nuts! Top color is grey over white. Second choice is chartreuse over white.

Deep: No brainer here - Clouser Deep Minnow. You will be fishing where this fly was invented. It's easy to fish and is general enough that it can be taken for many things a smallmouth would eat. Colors: white, olive over white, grey over white, brown over yellow, chartreuse over white.

I hope this helps. There are lots of folks on this board who fish that area and can offer more specifics.

Good luck!

Good answer and I agree completely with all of Fly-Swatter's points. ^

June is post spawn and can be tough bass fishing but late in the month things can pick up and river levels are often wadeable by that time. Since you're looking to wade, you should watch water levels on on the Susquehanna River at Harrisburg. Levels below 4.5' are wadeable but ideal situation would be under 4 feet. There are an abundance of public access sites where you can wade the river. With a friend looking to bass fish in SCPA, the Susky is tough to beat - it's a great fishery. There are also a lot of mid sized creek and larger creeks in the area too. If you'd like some more info on access spots and smaller waters, send me a PM.
DW

I agree, June can be a tough month for bass fishing. A 6 weight will do you just fine for smallmouth fishing. I generally use a 7/8 glass rod but the 6 weight works just about the same for me. As far as flies there are 3 which can and will cover lots of smallie opportunities: the woolly buggers, the clouser minnow, and a gurgler/popper. Yes, there are other flies that are extremely effective but those three are really all that you need to do some awesome smallmouth fishing.

I'm much more familiar with the Juniata but I've fished the Susky too. Both are typically wadeable that time of the year. As for other streams maybe try the Conestoga, the Conewago, and I'm sure that there are many other streams around which I'm unfamiliar with.

Dave_W: That trip I mentioned with reference to post spawn is the one when I met you on the lighthouse island where my wife and son were tooling around on kayaks. :)

It was a fun family trip to a new area for us. Fishing, no so much fun.

All great answers and info from the PAFFers above.

All I have to add is it's not possible to make a recommendation on where to fish for a June trip in April. Last year the Susky was so high and off color it was not wadeable or even fishable for most of the summer and right through fall season.

I will say, the Susky is where I would recommend fishing above all other streams and rivers in the area. But check in closer to your trip to see what the conditions are at that time for recommendations on where to fish based on the current conditions.

I'm sure you guys will have fun....the smallie fishing is great!

Thanks for all the help and advice so far! I'll definitely check back in around early or mid June.

(As someone who has only waded small and medium streams so far in my fly fishing endeavors, I have to say that the width of the susquehanna looks hugely intimidating.)

I feel the same way about big waters. I grew up fishing for SMB on Neshaminy Creek and Mill Creek near where I grew up in SEPA. I now fish a similar creeks in NEPA. Even the North Branch of the Susky felt big to me at first. Same with the Upper Delaware.

I found these rivers more manageable if I mentally segment them. For example, when wading, Look at specific shoreline structure and sunken woody debris, boulders and shelves that are near current seems. Put blinders on and fish to spots around these structures, specifically, seems next to structure. Also, mind the depth both for safety and to find fish. It would be unusual to find bass in really deep and really shallow water.

They, like all fish, are creatures of habit that move daily, seasonally and with changing river levels. If the bass are active, I would assume they would be busting bait in shallow water at dawn/dusk and maybe during overcast days. Go top water in this case. The shallower the water, the more subtle the noise your fly should make.

Another way to manage large rivers is to find islands that break the river down into smaller rivers and do the same as above.

If I were to DIY fish the big river near Harrisburg, this would be my approach.

You can rent a canoe or kayaks near Harrisburg here:
http://www.bluemountainoutfitters.net/

It's fun to float the river and get out at various spots and wade fish.

In addition to the flies already mentioned, crayfish patterns are also very good. Especially the smaller to medium sizes. I haven't done well with the large ones.

If wading, I recommend the Conodoguinet. There are numerous public parks with easy access.

SteveG wrote:
If wading, I recommend the Conodoguinet. There are numerous public parks with easy access.

MY KID AND HIS TRACK COACH KAYAK THIS AS WELL. SAY IT WORKS GREAT.

Conewago (York county) or conidoguienet are my top recommendations for the time of year you are looking at. Weather and high water are likely to be a factor for you though. If you get really lucky and we have a drought than hit up the Juniata.

Crayfish patterns and toowayer poppers will be your best bet.

I fish smaller water , the Conestoga 99% of the time.

(1) 6wt will work fine (I fish a 7wt with a basic WF trout line, nothing special)

(2) On smaller water in the summer stay small , size 6 and down unless the water is high and dirty. If the water is clear and low don't be afraid to go to size 12 / 14 soft hackles, especially in easy access areas like busy parks. Every year I see people tossing 3-4" rubber on heavy jig heads that hit the water like a depth charge , leaving them swearing there aren't any fish left in the area. There are plenty of smallies to go around. The fish are assaulted daily by swimmers , clueless kayak/canoe users, and dogs chasing balls/sticks thrown by their owners. My largest smallie to date is 18-1/4" from the Conestoga taken on a size 12 soft hackle fished tandem under a strike indicator in the middle of a hot sunny afternoon in a fairly heavily used area.

(3) As to flies for small water, crayfish and leech patterns are my favorite . When those fail , streamers , soft hackles , nymphs etc. Poppers and floating minnow patterns are a lot of fun when the fish are up for it (more often than not I find sunfish and rock bass suck up poppers long before a smallie gets done eyeballing it.) Carp flies are an excellent choice too. If fishing very rocky ares with lots of snags (Lancaster Central park) try a size 6 or 8 sparsely tied muddler minnow that suspends just above the bottom. Natural colored deer hair works well but so does a muddler tied in a dirty orange / olive coloration.

Back