Smallmouth Jam

Wetfly01

Wetfly01

Just throwing this out there. I know before Covid there was a Smallmouth Jam on the Juniata River during the summer, which I missed. Is there any plains of that Jam happening again? Since there is a lot of smallmouth bass fly guys on the forum I figured this Jam would come back around again. Can't remember who organized the first one, but I heard it was a good time had by all. Definitely would like to attend if one would happen.

Would be fun to take a page out of the Compound's book down in Sarasota FL.

They do the bigfoot snook jam every year. You have 24 hours to catch the biggest snook you can anywhere in FL and measure it with a pic to send in to the shop.

Might be fun to do on here as well.

I organized the first warm water jam on the Juniata in 2010. Some years later we did one on the North Branch Susky up above Scranton.

Since then we have had a jam on the Juniata via the courtesy of a landowner who is a forum regular. Perhaps he'll do this again. If not, maybe wait a month or so and feel free to announce a WW jam at a site appealing to you. It's best to just pick a place and time. Asking for feedback on date/location will simple lead to t a lot of disagreement.

I organized the first warm water jam on the Juniata in 2010.
Indeed you did. IIRC, the fishing was pretty lackluster, but a good time was had by all!

Juniata warmwater jam 07 Aug 10 2

Juniata warmwater jam 07 Aug 10

Yeah - you're right - fishing was lackluster.
TimB caught a bunch. . . and the rest of us caught the skunk or a couple little fish. :)

The North branch Susky trip was also very slow fishing.

That's me in the orange shirt with Afishinado et-al. Hidden behind the canoe is my dachsund Benny , The Incredible Fly Fishing Weiner Dog (Benny was a regular on this site back in the good ole days.).

Good times.

Question, what is the kayak owner using to hold his fly rods vertically? I would love to have this on my kayak, but I can't quite see in the image what the holders are. Thanks!
That’s actually my kayak that I used to own. The rod holder is a Scotty fly rod holder. I had a few of them mounted on the boat.

AA2B33BC 40B2 419A A15C E804144DA1FD

Well, I am the forum regular (although I haven't been very regular) on here recently) that Dave is speaking of who hosted the most recent and previous warm-water jams on the Juniata. Let me take a gander at my schedule and some other things and I will try to get one scheduled this year. Probably won't be until late August or early September though, so I hope that that works for everyone. Anyways, my parents have a pretty nice piece of property on the Juniata in Mifflin County.

Stay tuned folks, I will post something about it soon and set some dates.

Good to hear from you Josh

Well, I am the forum regular (although I haven't been very regular) on here recently) that Dave is speaking of who hosted the most recent and previous warm-water jams on the Juniata. Let me take a gander at my schedule and some other things and I will try to get one scheduled this year. Probably won't be until late August or early September though, so I hope that that works for everyone. Anyways, my parents have a pretty nice piece of property on the Juniata in Mifflin County.

Stay tuned folks, I will post something about it soon and set some dates.
Great Josh! Late August or early September is a great time to Jam the J for smallies.

Did you make an appearance at the Jam two weeks ago? I didn't see you if you did.

Roger, good to hear from you too. And Tom, I did not. Things just weren't working out for me. Next year I'm camping there for sure and attending.

Question, what is the kayak owner using to hold his fly rods vertically? I would love to have this on my kayak, but I can't quite see in the image what the holders are. Thanks!
I like the yakattack rod holders allot better than the scotty ones.

As for a kayak for fly fishing there are so many great options these days . Look for a yak with a open deck and a high seat . Fly fishing from a high seat makes casting so much easier and makes standing allot easier as well . Pedal kayaks have their appeal but if you want to stand and fish they are fly line magnets and you will spend time allot time untangling your line off the pedals instead of keeping your fly in the water .
Better option is to get a electric motor for your yak less tangles and more energy to fish which equals more time with your fly in the water .

Last edited:
I'm looking at dates of the weekend of August 26 or Sept 9. I will let you all know the final date soon. Just wanted to keep you in the loop that I am actively going to plan a WW get together on the J this year .

If this thread "disappears" sometime soon, look for it in the Events/Meet-Up forum.

The WW jam thread has been created. You can find it in the "meet ups" section of the forum..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back