Smallmouth Flies

Thanks for all of the replies. Much appreciated. I have a bunch of Clousers tied up already a bunch of chartreuse over white and brown over white. Need to tie up some all white and olive white. I bought a bugger barn box so I need to fill it up šŸ˜! Iā€™ll look up all flies mentioned and tie some up. Gonna float the north branch the weekend of the 20th. Looking forward to it. Iā€™m about half way through Bob Clouserā€™s ā€œFly Fishing For Smallmouthā€ book. Bought it 3-4 years ago and itā€™s been sitting on my book shelf since then. Regret not reading it earlier. So much good information in it. Again, I appreciate everyone taking the time to reply.

Shawn
Clouserā€™s book is an excellent resource. I have read it several times over the years and refer back to it often.

It doesn't make sense, but just hear me out:

Jackson cardinal purple egg sucking leech flame head streamers 29006374731862 900x

I like natural or trout pattern. Hereā€™s a couple pics I posted in this thread.

Hereā€™s one they love. They do crush the game changer so if you get into them bring a hair brush to fluff up again.

Attachments

• 1AAD6FF6-0024-4F40-9C3C-BC040E8220A2.jpeg
    1AAD6FF6-0024-4F40-9C3C-BC040E8220A2.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 44
Ok, so I have about 20 Clousers tied. Just ordered material I didnā€™t have to tie up a bunch of game changers. From what I can see you can tie way more Clousers in a shorter amount of time vs. game changers. But man I watched a video on game changers and the way they move in the water is sick! For those who have fished both does one out perform the other?

Shawn,
If you are starting tying, a word of advice from someone who has done it for almost 40 years. Choose flies that work and are easy-cheap and fast to tie. You never want to make the compromise (consciously or subconsciously): I'd like to throw to that location (or add more weight) , but I don't want to lose that fly.
I occasionally tie a complex pattern just to do it, but these flies tend not to make it into my regular "rotation"

Shawn,
If you are starting tying, a word of advice from someone who has done it for almost 40 years. Choose flies that work and are easy-cheap and fast to tie. You never want to make the compromise (consciously or subconsciously): I'd like to throw to that location (or add more weight) , but I don't want to lose that fly.
I occasionally tie a complex pattern just to do it, but these flies tend not to make it into my regular "rotation"
Iā€™ve been tying for 20 years. I am new to fishing for smallmouth. I like the simplicity of the clouser. But I like the what all goes into the game changer. I enjoy tying complex flies here and there. Thanks for the response.

Last edited:
Ok, so I have about 20 Clousers tied. Just ordered material I didnā€™t have to tie up a bunch of game changers. From what I can see you can tie way more Clousers in a shorter amount of time vs. game changers. But man I watched a video on game changers and the way they move in the water is sick! For those who have fished both does one out perform the other?
Generally no. When SMB eat they eat. Iā€™ve tied and fished both. As commented in another thread, I see no added value in the game changer so i donā€™t tie them, carry them or fish them. Losing them or any fly is not a concern of mine, Thatā€™s why I tie. My only concern is fish catching and they Bring nothing more to the SMB table that a simple Clouser Doesnā€™t. My humble opinion only and I would love to hear your thoughts after you try them this year,

Never really fished clousers so canā€™t comment on that. It really Isnā€™t hard to tie a game changer out of material. Skip every other wrap. I think both would trigger a strike if presented the right way. I really like articulated flies as they all have great swimming movements.

If you really want to spend some time on a fly could do it out of deer hair.
DH Chub

Attachments

• 222C1184-F384-402E-9BD3-67332D7E4764.jpeg
    222C1184-F384-402E-9BD3-67332D7E4764.jpeg
    269.2 KB · Views: 29
KISS (keep it simple stupid) Method

Clousers
Sparkle minnow
Boogle Bugs
Random white wulff #8

All you need but I've never caught a smallmouth šŸ˜‰

My best subsurface fly for smallmouth is a #4 brown woolly bugger with a sort of coppery brown crystal chenille body, rubber legs and an orange bead. Probably looks a lot like a crayfish or hellgramite. Add a simple white popper and Iā€™m good to go. Tie whatever you want but smallmouth arenā€™t that particular. I donā€™t use my clousers much. The bucktail is too stiff IMO.

Not a Susky fisherman, but I have a place on the main stem Delaware (a bit below the trout water) and fish for smallies all summer in my backyard.

My current go-to subsurface is George Daniel's sculpsnack. I tie a few variations of it and smallies eat it like candy...super super easy to tie!

my other normals (going to seem a bit repetitive here with all of the other posts...)
clousers - I generally do best with a white/olive combo
foxy minnow
a couple of chuck craft patterns that I really like: clawdads, crittermites & kreelex
murdich minnows
dahlberg diver
ol' mr. wiggly
boogle bugs (black is my go to during the day, but will fish brighter colors as the light drops)
blockhead poppers

I'm a big fan of Todd's Wiggle Minnow. The guy who introduced me to smallies on the fly gave me one and I just keep using them. That, a clouser, and a bugger are about all I ever use. Welcome change from my ridiculous selection of trout flies.

Schenk's white streamer is the best Smalley fly I've ever used. Yes, use rabbit. But as mentioned, buggers, gurglers, clousers, poppers, and I caught some big smallest on Raystown lake on beadhead hares ears under an indicator. You never know.

Schenk's white streamer is the best Smalley fly I've ever used. Yes, use rabbit. But as mentioned, buggers, gurglers, clousers, poppers, and I caught some big smallest on Raystown lake on beadhead hares ears under an indicator. You never know.
Yep!

Ed's white spun rabbit streamer is excellent. Looks half dead , pastey drifting along with a twitch. Pure protein.

Mousing for trout has produced some nice smallmouth at dusk. Have taken smallies on everything from sulphur dries to large mice. Marabou muddler/dahlberg diver with marabou tail size 6 is DEADLY

Back