Smallmouth fishing?

K

kbobb

hi Folks,

Want to do some smallmouth fishing this spring/summer with a couple family members. interested in your suggestions of where to go. Susquehanna is certainly on the list but also considering the Shenandoah in VA and the Flint river in MI. Wade fishing or floating a canoe would be the preferred methods

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated - some of the group may be spin fishing in addition to some fly fishing. looking more for catching some fish, not necessarily the biggest fish.
thanks

My vote would be for either the S. Fk. Shenandoah or New River in VA. If you hit the Shenandoah, I'm especially fond of the Bentonville, Alma and town of Shenandoah access points. Lots of shoals, ledges, islands. For the most part, it is very easy wading. You can get into numbers and large bass. As a bonus, there are largemouths in the S. Fk. along with bruiser rock bass and musky.

Okay, I've done A LOT of smallmouth fishing but the majority of my experience is on the Juniata River and then second would be the Clarion River near Cooksburg. I have also fished the mainstem of the Shenandoah, Potomac, etc. I mean, I'd go to whatever is closest to you and call it good. Don't rule out smaller creeks, either. As far as numbers of fish, I hear the branch of the Shenandoah near Front Royal produces a lot of fish but not many big fish. Although the mainstem of the Shenandoah is mighty beautiful, I have never been impressed with its smallmouth fishing. I've fished that river where route 17 crosses near Paris, etc.

I'm partial to smaller rivers and I feel more at ease on them. I like lazy rivers. Safe for swimming, paddling, fishing, etc.

So, once again, fish whatever is closest to you. With that said, I'd put the New River as one of the best smallmouth rivers in the country right now. I have fished it, but not enough to be an authority on it.

K-Bob...Feel free to PM if you need additional information on the South Fork of the Shenandoah. The river fishes extremely well south of Front Royal and is very accessible/wade/fly-fishing friendly. The main stem of the Shenandoah is a whole separate animal. The North Fork of the Shenandoah also fishes well but you need to float it to access the best fishing. I used to live 10 mins from the Luray access to the South Fork of the Shenandoah and know it quite well. 3-5lb bass are common if you know where to fish and how to fish for them. The smaller bass come easy to any sparkle lead-eye buggers, Shenk's White Minnow, Crayfish/Crawdad patterns. In slack water/eddies, the popper bite can be incredible. The bass will readily hit white roostertails, small soft plastics, top water plugs and small crankbaits. Harry Murray's Fly Shop (Edinburg, VA) and Mossy Creek Fly Shop (Harrisonburg, VA) both offer guide service on the S. Fk. Shen and are both excellent sources for additional information. If you decide you want to explore further South, I can fill you in on the James and New Rivers.

All of my canoe trips have been in PA, NC, VA, and WV. Great smallmouth bass fishing in all of them. There is nothing like a canoe trip down a river. I can help you with any of those states.

Thanks folks - i appreciate the responses and your experiences sound like what i'm looking for.

when i assemble a coherent list of questions i will pm as indicated above.

thanks again

I have fished the Flint River in MI and have caught some big smallies all wade fishing. I would focus on areas around Flushing. There is some good wading spots and I have seen plenty of guys floating it as well. I wouldn't count out the Huron River in Ypsilanti, MI. If you ever heard of Schultz Outfitters he consistently catches some big smallmouth out of it. The Huron is wadeable in spots, but probably best done floating. There are some really good smallmouth rivers/creeks in that Southeastern part of Michigan.

Back