Smallmouth Bass in April/May

S

sreedy47

Hi everyone,

Recently I have been out a couple times targeting smallmouth on the fly due to the weather warming up. I have had no luck though, has anyone had any luck recently I mostly fish streams around the Lebanon, Lancaster, dauphin area. I have queued everything from bouncing the bottom to mid column flies. Has anyone had any luck recently and with what techniques? Thanks for your help!

The Susky out in front of my place has gone up / down 2' - 4' almost daily. Just when I think it might be low enough to do a little fishing, boom straight back up. Probably won't get there until mid June

This time of year is usually pretty good for me throwing big streamer or bouncing crayfish along the bottom, however, it’s been extremely tough this year with how low and clear my home creek is. I was out yesterday and couldn’t buy a bite. I saw a ton of fish and threw everything I had at them. Some would come check out my fly but would never commit, most of them spooked as soon as the fly hit the water, even when the cast wasn’t close to them… It’s like fishing in late august but without the top water activity.

You might have better luck on cloudy and dreary days but I’m not sure how many of those will be coming in the next week or two.

Keep at though! Eventually you’ll figure out something they’re into. If all else fails, wait until the dog days of summer and dead drift some gurglers. That should turn up a few fish.

This time of year is usually pretty good for me throwing big streamer or bouncing crayfish along the bottom, however, it’s been extremely tough this year with how low and clear my home creek is. I was out yesterday and couldn’t buy a bite. I saw a ton of fish and threw everything I had at them. Some would come check out my fly but would never commit, most of them spooked as soon as the fly hit the water, even when the cast wasn’t close to them… It’s like fishing in late august but without the top water activity.

You might have better luck on cloudy and dreary days but I’m not sure how many of those will be coming in the next week or two.

Keep at though! Eventually you’ll figure out something they’re into. If all else fails, wait until the dog days of summer and dead drift some gurglers. That should turn up a few fish.
Thank you! I will definitely keep trying! I want to try a float soon so i can cover some more water and get into some new water

My brother's friend just caught a 20-incher out of the Swatera.
Happened to me last year too(about 21-22”) Their in there, gotta know where to look. I probably have fished where he caught it.

Happened to me last year too(about 21-22”) Their in there, gotta know where to look. I probably have fished where he caught it.
Oh shoot at looking back i thought he mean’t brown not smallie. Lol i am maxing out at 12” on swatty for smallies

Here is the bass. I took it off his text.

Attachments

• jaypicturefish.jpg
    jaypicturefish.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 53
Try fishing in late afternoon during the warmest part of the day. I’ve had good luck on small streams in same area but not until the water warms up.

caught my first small mouth of the year today. 9 fall fish, 1 smallmouth. Things are looking up!

Steve

Hi everyone,

Recently I have been out a couple times targeting smallmouth on the fly due to the weather warming up. I have had no luck though, has anyone had any luck recently I mostly fish streams around the Lebanon, Lancaster, dauphin area. I have queued everything from bouncing the bottom to mid column flies. Has anyone had any luck recently and with what techniques? Thanks for your help!
Dear sreedy,

People in boats that know where the pre-spawn smallies hang out on the Susky are crushing them. It's not my bag, but if you find them you will definitely catch them.

I'll give it a couple of weeks and then try my crick spots.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Back