Smallies in March

TrtnBux

TrtnBux

First couple of the year thanks to a quick rise of water temperature.

Attachments

• Smallie.jpg
    Smallie.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Smallie 2.jpg
    Smallie 2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 4
Nice!

Find deep pools with muddy bottoms. Both of these were caught without moving the fly. Basically just letting it hang in the current and a long slow strip every couple of seconds. Heavy fly and long leader (8-9').

Oh man started another thread and now see this.
My bad :pint:

Nice fish! Just started. None yet on my end but that wont last long.

Around here I never start catching any decent sized ones in the smaller rivers and creeks until at least mid April. Usually they don't get going real well until May. I get the feeling they might not spend the winters in the smaller waters but will make their way up out of the big river when things warm up. Not sure my theory is right, just a hunch. Overall last year was terrible in all the smaller rivers and creeks I fish. Probably the worst yr in memory. I have fished these creeks for over 40 yrs. I have been out on the main river 4 times this spring and not a bump. Fishing areas that were traditionally good but not so far this yr. Smallmouth might be in decline in all my old areas. Might have to explore new spots.

larkmark wrote:
Around here I never start catching any decent sized ones in the smaller rivers and creeks until at least mid April. Usually they don't get going real well until May.

Usually we have a winter. Usually we don't have 70 and even an 80 degree day in feb. Bluegills are already moving in at the local lake.

Back